CTFishingMan

A question for those of you who have a boga.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

This year I've drastically changed my fishing techniques, and I'm mostly fishing from rocks in the surf, which has made landing fish quite difficult. I hate dealing with trebles, especially on small fish (I don't want to lip them), and while I'm a lot more comfortable with larger fish, I would rather reduce the risk of getting caught.

Is it easy to land a fish with a boga? Do the tongs stayed closed? Is it simply to use? I've tried the fish gripper, but they're difficult to open, and difficult to use on smaller fish.

Is it as simple as opening it with one hand, gripping the fish on the mouth, then releasing and lifting it up with the handle?

I figured I would ask here before spending $240 on the 60# boga, just to find out it isn't what I pictured.

I would also consider the weight of a 60# nova on your surf belt, I think that would get old. Green fish I usually slip a hand into the right side Gill as I lift the leader, that way you can control the fish and keep trebles away. Rod under left arm and pliers in right hand .

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the 30# Boga on a surf belt.  I have never had it open up once I had the fish lipped with it.  So yes, very handy for controlling and de-hooking fish.  Especially useful for the smaller fish that are spazzing out. I find the bigger fish are much easier to control without any aid. Another advantage of the Boga over the less expensive plastic lipper is the pincer head spins 360 degrees negating any additional fish torque. If you plug & rock hop they are  most useful. Not required as much for bait guys using single hooks as it is for pluggers using trebles.IMG_3200.JPG.6add6e7ab2ba69b96c4d49536690734d.JPG

Edited by Livliner
spelling

2 mins ago, Livliner said:

I have the 30# Boga on a surf belt.  I have never had it open up once I had the fish lipped with it.  So yes, very handy for controlling and de-hooking fish.  Especially useful for the smaller fish that are spazzing out. I find the bigger fish are much easier to control without any aid. Another advantage of the Boga over the less expensive plastic lipper is the pincer head spins 360 degrees negating any additional fish torque. If you plug & rock hop they are very most useful. Not required as much for bait guys using single hooks as it is fir pkuggerw using trebles.

This is exactly what I thought, and confirmed everything. I have no problem holding larger fish, it is mostly the smaller fish that I hate having to deal with. It is just an added bonus for larger fish.

I want to get the 30#, I really do, but I caught a 51" fish two years ago, and I'm heartbroken not knowing if it hit 50# or not, and I'm not going to keep a trophy fish just to get a weight. A measurement is good enough for me for fish under 30#.

Unrelated, but is that Gear Keeper retractable?

9 mins ago, CTFishingMan said:

This is exactly what I thought, and confirmed everything. I have no problem holding larger fish, it is mostly the smaller fish that I hate having to deal with. It is just an added bonus for larger fish.

I want to get the 30#, I really do, but I caught a 51" fish two years ago, and I'm heartbroken not knowing if it hit 50# or not, and I'm not going to keep a trophy fish just to get a weight. A measurement is good enough for me for fish under 30#.

Unrelated, but is that Gear Keeper retractable?

Yes, gear keeper is retractable.  Surf belt is handy wet wading or with waders. 

I don't use the Boga for weighing fish just for controlling the little guys.

23 mins ago, CTFishingMan said:

If you weigh a 50lb fish on a boga attached to its lower jar, its probably not going to survive the release.  The experts say to never hold a large fish vertically as it compresses and damages the organs.

Get the 30 lb, use it to lip the fish and keep them in the water while you unhook.  I think you can feel pretty damn confortable that a 51" fish was 50lbs.  A girth measurement will allow you to calculate.

9 mins ago, MikeK said:

If you weigh a 50lb fish on a boga attached to its lower jar, its probably not going to survive the release.  The experts say to never hold a large fish vertically as it compresses and damages the organs.

Get the 30 lb, use it to lip the fish and keep them in the water while you unhook.  I think you can feel pretty damn confortable that a 51" fish was 50lbs.  A girth measurement will allow you to calculate.

I have said that many times, that holding a fish that size vertically will probably kill the fish. I don't know why I didn't think about this time.

Now I'm unsure about whether to get the 30# or 60#. I read that some people have trouble trying to lip the fish of bigger fish with the 60#.

I did measure the girth, and it came out at 49#. :( Haha

3 hours ago, Livliner said:

I have the 30# Boga on a surf belt.  I have never had it open up once I had the fish lipped with it.  So yes, very handy for controlling and de-hooking fish.  Especially useful for the smaller fish that are spazzing out. I find the bigger fish are much easier to control without any aid. Another advantage of the Boga over the less expensive plastic lipper is the pincer head spins 360 degrees negating any additional fish torque. If you plug & rock hop they are  most useful. Not required as much for bait guys using single hooks as it is for pluggers using trebles.IMG_3200.JPG.6add6e7ab2ba69b96c4d49536690734d.JPG

I've had a gearkeeper on my surfbelt for the last 8yrs. holding my VS pliers, they're not cheap but well worth the money. I've personally weighed 40 & 50lb fish with bogas and other types of scales and seen them swim away back into the deep blue sea and I've seen 40 & 50lb. fish weighed with a boga and other types of scales and seen the swim right into the cooler....

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdx0rhesCDduvTslAprZstZK2gIkoh_3GwhmNBxGnn7fPgEfhJFFplsudsl0kmGKVbr7iB4LfOsiWNo92Lv8CGJcklqYtdKBJCzH2dayQZyf4N81mrUdJLag&usqp=CAY

The Fish Grip 01-3780 Tool is a new fish landing device developed by an expert angler and used by many fishing guides. You have our assurance that this quality product will help to successfully land a fish with less chance of injury either to the fisherman or to the fish, which may be released.Over center locking - grip to lock, flip to openUnique jaw design - holds the lip of the fishDurable materials - plastic and stainless steelHigh viz color - easy to see, day or nightWeight scale slot - attach to scale, deduct 5 oz.Wrist lanyard - in case it slipsIT FLOATS. « less

I have used similar to this works great, this one is from Tackle Direct $10.99 I paid more for mine. Very helpful in dealing with toothy fish as it gives you more control at the hook point, while not removing the slime. 

SNL Commercial Grade Dehooker fish hook removing tool

This tool as well is great for releasing fish at boat side especially skates using their own weight to release the hook without handling.

17 hours ago, CTFishingMan said:

This year I've drastically changed my fishing techniques, and I'm mostly fishing from rocks in the surf, which has made landing fish quite difficult. I hate dealing with trebles, especially on small fish (I don't want to lip them), and while I'm a lot more comfortable with larger fish, I would rather reduce the risk of getting caught.

Is it easy to land a fish with a boga? Do the tongs stayed closed? Is it simply to use? I've tried the fish gripper, but they're difficult to open, and difficult to use on smaller fish.

Is it as simple as opening it with one hand, gripping the fish on the mouth, then releasing and lifting it up with the handle?

I figured I would ask here before spending $240 on the 60# boga, just to find out it isn't what I pictured.

I use this holder. It works great,

I think it is a great tool.

If I could afford the boga I would use that. But I'm a fishlipper guy.  I would get the 30 for useability, then get a 2nd scale for over 30. 

Anyone ever used a cradle to hold large fish for weighing?  

Weigh the fish, release, weigh the cradle, subtract and have the weight. 

images.jpeg

Edited by PSegnatelli

23 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

If I could afford the boga I would use that. But I'm a fishlipper guy.  I would get the 30 for useability, then get a 2nd scale for over 30. 

Anyone ever used a cradle to hold large fish for weighing?  

Weigh the fish, release, weigh the cradle, subtract and have the weight. 

images.jpeg

That seems reasonable for the boat guys but wouldn't be practical for anyone who fishes the surf.

I love my boga's. I originally bought a 60 and then picked up a 30 in the BST for wetsuiting. I don't use the scale function much. To me it's mostly an effective tool to land and control the fish.

Its also good to note that hanging a large fish vertically on a boga or similar grip can do damage to the internal organs and skeletal structure. If you want to practice good C&R then I would suggest using the boga to lip the fish and then support it under it's belly, keeping it horizontal at all times.

Edited by Sandbar1