scoobydoo

Visser Reels - August 2020

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Any NEW news as far as a release date?

Anyone feelin this is eerily similar to the last go around before the VR became a thing?

First of all, your avitar is straight up creepy now. 

Getting past that, I am worried. There was some hype, then lack of updates and videos. Not sure how this reel could be better that the Penn Torque, other than smaller sizes. 

Now that IRT is selling smaller, much more sealed reels with a faster retrieve rate it would be tough for me to overlook that USA option for a small machined reel. 

Just the same promises they’ll be out at the end of month and even his YouTube videos have slowed down. I was on the bandwagon for a couple of them but going to pass on them. 

I personally doubt that they’re gonna hit the market. At best, it’ll be for a short while until they fizzle away. My biggest gripe is that they’re marketed as a fully sealed reel, but nobody has even tested it from the surf yet.

22 mins ago, ASrod said:

I personally doubt that they’re gonna hit the market. At best, it’ll be for a short while until they fizzle away. My biggest gripe is that they’re marketed as a fully sealed reel, but nobody has even tested it from the surf yet.

If that's your biggest gripe...sorry...but it missed....

Why engineer something new....and not market it for what you intended it to do.....To not do so would be moronic.

43 mins ago, ged said:

First of all, your avitar is straight up creepy now. 

Getting past that, I am worried. There was some hype, then lack of updates and videos. Not sure how this reel could be better that the Penn Torque, other than smaller sizes. 

Now that IRT is selling smaller, much more sealed reels with a faster retrieve rate it would be tough for me to overlook that USA option for a small machined reel. 

But what about the others....and who's using the 200's in the wild?

41 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I called in June and they were ready to take an order, and ship in a few weeks. I was surprised, but apparently they are available to those that want to purchase them.

I am still on the fence. I was considering one for my son. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is this a waterproof reel ? Site says waterproof body and drag but then says removable plug so you can see if there's water intrusion..............All dealers say "pre-order"

Edited by AlwaysWading

1 hour ago, ged said:

I called in June and they were ready to take an order, and ship in a few weeks. I was surprised, but apparently they are available to those that want to purchase them.

I had some email correspondence with IRT and they were pretty wishy washy on how waterproof the reel is. I passed.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

If you're interested in doing a video on one, I'd order a 200 you could tear down

I want to like IRT but the reels are just hideous IMO. Not that looks really matter when looking for quality, but as said earlier they seem very closed off about components and how sealed they are. I had to really search hard on here to find one picture with the side cover off. As for Visser, someone recently commented on the Facebook page along the lines of "whats going on" and I believe the reply was the usual, delays will be getting them out, etc. But yeah I think they jumped the gun and developed a product without any advertising or real backing. If I got one tomorrow and it busted who am I going to send it to? Straight to Rob? 

3 hours ago, Surfjunki said:

If you're interested in doing a video on one, I'd order a 200 you could tear down

I have a bunch of reels to teardown at the moment... I also followed up again with irt because they were considering sending one or 2... Let me see what happens with that first... And thank you for the offer! It's Greatly appreciated! 

l to can not warm up to IRT reel, to me it's a Penn reel in sheepskin other than a CNC machine housing and some seals, l had at one time full brake down and pictures of what the gears were made of l think the main gear was made from some sort of alloy and the pinion was brass now their stainless steel, all that information seems to have been pulled from the internet, l looked online for pictures of the reel in use not much from the surf mostly from boats so there is not much casting. 

The line lay looks like crap on a lot of the reels must of the pictures have either 1/2 spool of line or at the most 3/4 full, the stroke seems to be a little short, some gap at front of the pool they seem to have the same line lay as the run of the mill Penn, that doesn't seem like a good thing for surfcasting. 

That's my thought on the reel, remember boat fishing and surf fishing are not the same.

l have pictures of the reel with the side cover off look like a Penn inside from a couple of years ago but my file system is not the best but l will do some digging.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, ged said:

Wait a while for this reel, for your type of fishing much like mine you need a good casting reel with a good line lay.

Edited by LB