coastalfreak

Inshore Bait Rods

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,
Looking for an inshore rod I can use to throw live shrimp and finger mullet/minnows under a popping cork, on the bottom or on a free line. I’m gonna get a new reel soon but I’m thinking some sort of Baitrunner.

In terms of rods, the Castaway Croaker Smoker is my top choice thus far but I’ve also considered the St Croix Tidemaster. 

Target species are speckled trout, redfish, flounder, and black drum primarily. 

Thanks in advance! 

I have a 7 foot tidemaster rated 0.5 - 1.25 ounces. I really like the rod for throwing lures, but it seems to favor lures on the heavier end of the rating. In fact I think it’s sweet spot is about 1.5 ounces. I don’t think it would be a good bait rod. The action is too fast for bait. You’d be constantly flinging your bait off the hook. Excellent rod, but for your intended use I think something with a more moderate action would work out better for you.

Big difference in bottom fishing a mullet for black drum with a baitrunner reel and flipping live shrimp around docks for specks.  I don't like baitrunners for casting.  Some people do.  I don't.  I kept hitting the bait runner switch on pier/bridge rails. 

Read good things about the redbone rods, everyone speaks highly of them.  Haven't read anything on ugly stik's (I know, that's a dirty word) new rods but I've played with them and I really like the feel for lighter stuff.  My favorite inshore rod is my old wright and McGill blair wiggins rod.  I am not sure they make them anymore but you can still find one or two on ebay.  I have caught everything from cobia to musky to pinfish on that thing and I bet it is 7-8 years old.  My dad still tries to buy it off of me. 

If you can build it or have someone build it, there are some rx6 blanks in  a 7foot 6size that would definitely fit the bill without breaking the bank.