That old-time Birther music

Rate this topic

BrianBM

I wondered, in another thread, if the President would pick up on a recent argument in Newsweek that Harris isn't really a US citizen just because she was born here. And here's the morning paper!

"WASHINGTON — President Trump on Thursday encouraged a racist conspiracy theory that is rampant among some of his followers: that Senator Kamala Harris, the presumptive Democratic vice-presidential nominee born in California, was not eligible for the vice presidency or presidency because her parents were immigrants.That assertion is false. Ms. Harris is eligible to serve.

Mr. Trump, speaking to reporters on Thursday, nevertheless pushed forward with the attack, reminiscent of the lie he perpetrated for years that President Barack Obama was born in Kenya.

“I heard it today that she doesn’t meet the requirements,” Mr. Trump said of Ms. Harris.

“I have no idea if that’s right,” he added. “I would have thought, I would have assumed, that the Democrats would have checked that out before she gets chosen to run for vice president.”

Mr. Trump appeared to be referring to a widely discredited [link to Newsweek and article about citizenship] a conservative lawyer who has long argued that the United States Constitution does not grant birthright citizenship. Ms. Harris, the daughter of Jamaican and Indian immigrants, was born in 1964 in Oakland, Calif., several years after her parents arrived in the United States.But Mr. Trump was in effect revisiting an old tactic: spreading a race-based and anti-immigrant crusade he began nearly a decade ago, when he began sowing distrust in the background of Mr. Obama, who was born in Hawaii."

There's more to the article than I'm bothering to quote.

This election is starting to sound more and more like the last one. Obama was denounced as Muslim because his father was, and besides, Republicans didn't like the liberation theology preaching of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. (Nothing says Muslim like attending a church whose pastor isn't grateful for how good blacks have it in America.) Does she have a church whose pastor we don't like? Has she ever traveled to a Muslim country?

This must be wonderfully soothing music to the ears of those who thought Obama just couldn't really be American, what with a funny name and a Hawaiian birth certificate and a black skin. As President Trump later pointed out, what's Hawaii anyway? Some island in the Pacific.

We're halfway back to 2016 already. Groundhog Day in campaigning. What next? Mexico will pay for a wall?

Edited by BrianBM
restored paragraph separations

Best way to get her ethnicity into the public eye.  Stop her from pretending to be an African American.

The biggest fish in the river gets that way by never being caught.

Edward Bloom

Her own father isn't too fond of her either, IIRC.

She has more baggage than a Pullman car.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

I believe when you look at the amendments agreed the natural born fits Harris perfectly... Its the parents who were I n question or at least drew concern.....HOWEVER WHEN DOES HARRIS AND BIDEN  COME OUT AGAINST THE VIOLENCE ...REPORATIONS ?....we saw their response to covid ....a mask a nd 6 ft.So now that we have established that fact ,I'm sure the dems will stop bring up covid  when ever the don't like the question......and tell the dems gov. To forgo the fraud laden mail in ballots and open the economy .....PUT THE VOTING MACHINES OUT SIDE ....YO DEMS GROW A SET YOUR MONEY RUNS OUT SEPT. YOU HAVE TO GO TO WORK .and wear gloves when you push the voting machines BUTTONS

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I wondered, in another thread, if the President would pick up on a recent argument in Newsweek that Harris isn't really a US citizen just because she was born here. And here's the morning paper!

"WASHINGTON — President Trump on Thursday encouraged a racist conspiracy theory that is rampant among some of his followers: that Senator Kamala Harris, the presumptive Democratic vice-presidential nominee born in California, was not eligible for the vice presidency or presidency because her parents were immigrants.

That assertion is false. Ms. Harris is eligible to serve.

Mr. Trump, speaking to reporters on Thursday, nevertheless pushed forward with the attack, reminiscent of the lie he perpetrated for years that President Barack Obama was born in Kenya.

“I heard it today that she doesn’t meet the requirements,” Mr. Trump said of Ms. Harris.

I have no idea if that’s right,” he added. “I would have thought, I would have assumed, that the Democrats would have checked that out before she gets chosen to run for vice president.”

Mr. Trump appeared to be referring to a widely discredited [link to Newsweek and article about citizenship] a conservative lawyer who has long argued that the United States Constitution does not grant birthright citizenship. Ms. Harris, the daughter of Jamaican and Indian immigrants, was born in 1964 in Oakland, Calif., several years after her parents arrived in the United States.

But Mr. Trump was in effect revisiting an old tactic: spreading a race-based and anti-immigrant crusade he began nearly a decade ago, when he began sowing distrust in the background of Mr. Obama, who was born in Hawaii."

There's more to the article than I'm bothering to quote.

This election is starting to sound more and more like the last one. Obama was denounced as Muslim because his father was, and besides, Republicans didn't like the liberation theology preaching of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. (Nothing says Muslim like attending a church whose pastor isn't grateful for how good blacks have it in America.) Does she have a church whose pastor we don't like? Has she ever traveled to a Muslim country?

This must be wonderfully soothing music to the ears of those who thought Obama just couldn't really be American, what with a funny name and a Hawaiian birth certificate and a black skin. As President Trump later pointed out, what's Hawaii anyway? Some island in the Pacific.

We're halfway back to 2016 already. Groundhog Day in campaigning. What next? Mexico will pay for a wall?

Yes, Trump has no idea.  He is clueless and needs to get voted out. 

54 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Yes, Trump has no idea.  He is clueless and needs to get voted out. 

I don't agree that he "has no idea. He is clueless ..."  White racial resentment is a big part of his appeal to his base. Just like telling the Squad to "go back where they come from" (three of the four being born here, and one being naturalized) his point is the sheer un-American nature of a brown skin. He understands this very well, and he finds ways to emphasize this unacceptable foreignness every chance he gets.

5 hours ago, jkrock said:

We should fix the system so that anchor babies like Kamala don't get automatic citizenship

Until we fix that, she is a  citizen and eligible to run. 

i say we fix it now, so we don't have this issue again in 35 years

"Anchor baby?"

Her mother became a naturalized citizen, though after Kamala's birth. Her father had come here to study. I don't know if he stayed or left. How many generations of citizenship would you like to require pass, before someone can run for high office?

11 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I don't agree that he "has no idea. He is clueless ..."  White racial resentment is a big part of his appeal to his base. Just like telling the Squad to "go back where they come from" (three of the four being born here, and one being naturalized) his point is the sheer un-American nature of a brown skin. He understands this very well, and he finds ways to emphasize this unacceptable foreignness every chance he gets.

"Anchor baby?"

Her mother became a naturalized citizen, though after Kamala's birth. Her father had come here to study. I don't know if he stayed or left. How many generations of citizenship would you like to require pass, before someone can run for high office?

Sounds like an anchor baby to me. “Marriage “ lasted 4 years?

Child of 2 non citizens

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I wondered, in another thread, if the President would pick up on a recent argument in Newsweek that Harris isn't really a US citizen

Newsweek is.............. Charticus Approved.

Screenshot_2020-08-14 Media Bias Chart 6 0 Downloadable Image and Standard License - Ad Fontes Media.png

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish