gimbap1707

Effective fluke rigs when the drift is fast?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So it looks like the weekend is going to blow 15-20 knots, and I’m heading out on a full day party boat out of montauk. I  was planning on using a chicken rig, but in the case that the drift speed is nearly 2-3 mph, what should my rig look like? Should I just make my snelled hook significantly longer say 12-30 inches? This is the typical fluke rig used on the rented rods, because you don’t have to do much. The bait just drifts as the boat moves. Any other style of rigging that would be effective for a fast drift?

Posted (edited) · Report post

If bucktailing during a fast drift, I would put a heavy BT on a dropper and leave a tag end 24-36" for another hook or light jig head to drift in back. Could also use a 3 way swivel using the same tackle or attach a heavier weight where you would attach the bucktail. If bait fishing during a real fast drift, I sometimes add a stinger hook depending on the length of the bait for short strikes. The chicken rig will work as well, but definitely use longer leaders on the droppers.

Edited by Joe D.

58 mins ago, Joe D. said:

If bucktailing during a fast drift, I would put a heavy BT on a dropper and leave a tag end 24-36" for another hook or light jig head to drift in back. Could also use a 3 way swivel using the same tackle or attach a heavier weight where you would attach the bucktail. If bait fishing during a real fast drift, I sometimes add a stinger hook depending on the length of the bait for short strikes. The chicken rig will work as well, but definitely use longer leaders on the droppers.

Interesting, never heard of leaving a tag end on the bucktail; but I'll definitely try it out, thanks for the advice. 

Edited by gimbap1707

43 mins ago, gimbap1707 said:

Interesting, never heard of leaving a tag end on the bucktail; but I'll definitely try it out, thanks for the advice. 

Basically do the same as a typical top and bottom rig but reverse them. Make your dropper loop a little larger for the BT up top and leave a longer tag end off the dropper for the hook at the end. Most people will fish with the hook off the dropper up top and the bucktail on the bottom loop. If you are fishing really sticky bottom may want to keep your rigs short regardless.

Have fished 100' and fast drift using 20 oz , still had to scope out . Found that a 3 way with a 6" drop for the sinker and an 18" leader on a bait and blade rig had way less tangles than any other thing we used. Just make sure rod is heavy enough to handle lots o lead.

Main line to a LARGE 3 way swivel.

12 or 15 lb  mono 6-8” off one with overhand loop for sinker.

3 - 4 ft leader of 30 lb mono to stinger hook rig.

Lower down easy and fish with small whole squids or long strip bait that leaves a nice trailing piece 

order from least to most snaggy: 

hi/lo (chicken rig)

3 way rig with (2 hook slider plus whole squid or long strip bait, rubber squid plus strip or gulp grub)

spoon rig

spin and glo ( haha had to get that in there lol)

Just checked the Montauk marine forecast for Saturday and Sunday.  STAY HOME. I DON'T THINK ANY PARTY BOATS WILL SAIL.

Edited by Al Goldberg