bananaboat

King Mackerel?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hit the beach early this morning and there was a ton of life around. Albeit some seaweed I saw rain bait Spanish Macks and what was possibly a massive  king Mackerel. Seeing them in the south and catching them it was unmistakable this was a King. What else could of breached the water up here and look like a Mack? I’m mind boggled. 

Other than size, how could you differentiate a king from a spanish from a distance on merely a breach ?

If you Google the side by side comparison, to the naked eye jumping out of the water for a split second I would imagine nearly impossible to tell.

spanish mack vs king mack.jpg

I've heard people say that they've caught kings off Long Island this year, so you may very well have seen one.

If folks are getting into the southern mackerel, they ought to remember that New York has a size limit of 23", bag limit of 3 for kings, size limit of 14", bag limit of 15 for Spanish.

Almost anything might show up this time of the year. The gulf stream can bring rare species north. Last summer I saw a photo, and talked to the guy who took the picture of marlin of sorts in the Orchard beach, Bronx NY parking lot.

I saw something jump out of the water today at the jetty that had to be a Spanish or a king it was long and skinny.  But it didn’t want anything to do with my cast master 

6 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Other than size, how could you differentiate a king from a spanish from a distance on merely a breach ?

If you Google the side by side comparison, to the naked eye jumping out of the water for a split second I would imagine nearly impossible to tell.

spanish mack vs king mack.jpg

Never seen a Spanish that big

13 hours ago, bananaboat said:

this fish was 3.5 feet long easily

Ahhh different story... 

Honestly, with the warm water, tropical storm currents and reports of rare fish visiting our waters... I would not be surprised.

Matter of time before the jack crevalles show up in the surf.

Jack Crevalles would be nice but we need some Roostah fish. 

13 hours ago, CWitek said:

I've heard people say that they've caught kings off Long Island this year, so you may very well have seen one.

If folks are getting into the southern mackerel, they ought to remember that New York has a size limit of 23", bag limit of 3 for kings, size limit of 14", bag limit of 15 for Spanish.

Thank you for that .  We were trying to figure that out this afternoon .....