flyangler

The Chinese Pandemic as an Economic Speedbump ?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Going into January, the U.s economy was cruising at 70mph in a 55 zone. Not too fast, but faster than the previous administration, particularly given the Fed was a headwind for much of Trump's first term. Voters were realizing that and Trump's job approval was rising by most measures and he was seen as a shoo-in for re-election against any of the Dems primary possibilities. Even moderate Democrats were giving Trump praise for his economic performance, his ability to stay out of wars and his improvements at the border.

Then the Chinese Communist Party, not wanting to be embarrassed nor sorely hampered by the Wuhan Virus, allowed it to escape to Europe and the USA. 

The economic and mortality impacts have been devastating, there is no argument against that.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The naysayers and Trump haters will tell you the light is an 18-wheeler come to mow you down. But most people understand what is happening and that the USA and global economies are slowly healing and will eventually return to 90%+ of the January levels. While individual financial hardships, even failures, cannot be ignored, the overall economy will heal sooner than many think. What happens in NYC and similar is another story, but those are very local issues. 

So is there a line of rhetoric that the pandemic setback has been a speed-bump on a very  strong economic course the USA was on in January? Can Trump and Pence argue that "if you liked what you saw then, why change things now?"

Of course, the haters will laugh, scoff and answer "Yes". Or claim that Trump inherited the now hyphenated Obama-Biden economy (Biden never got credit for that before, but the DEMedia will claim he was involved).

But what about other voters who don’t necessarily like Trump but appreciate his policies, his pre-Covid economic success and his plans for the future? How will they vote their own personal finances when they know what they are getting with Trump and hear Biden talk about raising taxes, spending trillions on the NGD pipe dream and want to pay bribes to every group with a grievance against the USA or Trump? 

Based on the recovery of jobs thus far, on a macro basis, the pandemic will eventually be seen as a speed-bump, assuming Trump is re-elected of course and has an eight year record to look back on retrospectively. 

WashEx: 

“With the Democratic ticket finally set for the fall presidential race, Pence has switched to campaign mode, ready with a list of achievements to brag on, led by economic wins since the coronavirus crisis crashed the administration’s earlier successes. Topping that list is the jobs comeback — some 9.2 million since the pandemic hit the United States in March. . . . During the previous administration, some 8.9 million jobs were created. The pandemic cost some 20 million jobs, but many see the creation of nearly half of the loss as a major achievement and a path back to the record jobs that occurred under President Trump’s first three years in office.”

8 mins ago, flyangler said:

So is there a line of rhetoric that the pandemic setback has been a speed-bump on a very  strong economic course the USA was on in January? Can Trump and Pence argue that "if you liked what you saw then, why change things now?"

Yes, they can make that argument.

The question is will Trump be able to convey that message without gross exaggeration and blatant lies?

5 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Yes, they can make that argument.

The question is will Trump be able to convey that message without gross exaggeration and blatant lies?

Question for you, were you as triggered by Obama's lies as you are with what you perceive as Trump's, or are you indoctrinated by the constant barrage of media negativity towards Trump and this colors your thinking about Trump.

Just now, zybathegeek said:

Question for you, were you as triggered by Obama's lies as you are with what you perceive as Trump's, or are you indoctrinated by the constant barrage of media negativity towards Trump and this colors your thinking about Trump.

I am of the opinion that GC is just a curmudgeon and likes the role of gadfly. I called him a weather vane in the past but I think his predilections are consistently slightly right of center, he just hates Trump's persona and general hypocrisy across the political class. 

3 mins ago, flyangler said:

I am of the opinion that GC is just a curmudgeon and likes the role of gadfly. I called him a weather vane in the past but I think his predilections are consistently slightly right of center, he just hates Trump's persona and general hypocrisy across the political class. 

Given the wealth of opportunity to disparage left leadership for their foibles, GCs bias is invariably always Trump centric.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, zybathegeek said:

Trump is a megalomaniac and a habitual liar with a host of other negative character flaws.

That is what colors my thinking of Trump.

I don't need the MSM to tell me what Trump's problems are when they are readily and regularly on full display... 

Edited by Gotcow?

1 min ago, Gotcow? said:

Trump is a megalomaniac and a habitual liar with a host of other negative character flaws.

That is what colors my thinking of Trump of him.

I don't need the MSM to tell me what Trump's problems are when they are readily and regularly on full display... 

No problem, your hyperbolic description of Trump follows standard media bias and their language.

12 mins ago, zybathegeek said:

No problem, your hyperbolic description of Trump follows standard media bias and their language.

Or perhaps theirs follows mine...…….

Just now, Gotcow? said:

Or perhaps theirs follows mine...…….

Nice try, but their vitriol predates yours by a country mile.

either of you guys want to get back on-topic or should we have Tim set up a private chat room for your ongoing lovefest?

18 mins ago, flyangler said:

either of you guys want to get back on-topic or should we have Tim set up a private chat room for your ongoing lovefest?

You stay out of this...…. :p

Edited by Gotcow?

26 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

You stay out of this...…. :p

24 mins ago, zybathegeek said:

:point:

GOT IT!

1498212402-brokeback-mountain.jpg?resize=768:*

Edited by flyangler

TO TRUMP HATERS, REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE TRUMP RESPONSE TO THE VIRUS HAS HAD A UNIQUELY BAD ECONOMIC IMPACT.

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE UK'S RESPONSE WAS THE MODEL FOR THE USA TO FOLLOW. 

[Sorry did not realize the caps lock was on]

The USA has done much better than its peer and near-peer nations at limiting economic damage, and it’s done so without maintaining a higher death rate.  In fact, if you looked at the economic performance next to the population-rated mortality, there doesn’t seem to be any correlation between economic damage and death rate.

Graphic below courtesy of the NY Times:

Britain’s New Record: A Recession Worse Than in Europe and North America

Seventeen years of economic growth have been wiped out in Britain’s late and long lockdown.

Britain discovered on Wednesday that its economy had suffered a recession deeper than any other reported by a European or North American country during the coronavirus pandemic.

The reasons for the severe downturn in the second quarter include an economy that relies more heavily than most on consumer spending and a longer national lockdown than its neighbors.

Still, the cost of the pandemic provided another grim record. Last month, the government reported that Britain had Europe’s highest rate of excess deaths.

“A few months ago, I said hard times are coming and today’s figures show hard times are here,” Rishi Sunak, Britain’s top finance official, said on Wednesday.....

The government’s relatively slow response to the pandemic in March largely explains Britain’s fate. The closing of schools and businesses began weeks later in Britain than in some neighboring European countries. In those crucial days, the coronavirus was able to spread further and the problem was worsened by failures in contact tracing, testing and the protection of nursing homes.

This led to a longer period under a more severe lockdown, which began in late March and only started to be lifted in mid-June. Compared with the United States, which instigated state-by-state shutdowns of varying lengths and severity, Britain’s lockdown also affected a greater share of the population for a longer period.

The longer lockdown was “at the root of the economy’s underperformance,” Samuel Tombs, an economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, wrote in a research note.

An Oxford University index on the strictness of government responses, including school and workplace closings and travel bans, showed that Britain’s lockdown was more stringent in the second quarter than in Italy, Germany, Spain and the United States.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-14-at-9.19.00-AM.png