KironaFly

Black Van Staal VR50 Extended Stem?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Not hijack the black Van Staal VR50 thread (that is currently active regarding the bail less kit controversy) .... but what is the significance of the the "extended" stem arm over the first silver production run units?

 

Seems like a major modification given the proportions of that reel. Was it done because of line slap on Surf Rods? Thanks for a comment SOL VR50 users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Husonfirst said.

 

I have fairly small hands and I'll take one off the knuckles from time to time...and thats on a freshwater rod seat..not a big bulky seat.

 

With such asleep at the wheel designing...I'm shocked it's as nice a reel as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

What Husonfirst said.

 

I have fairly small hands and I'll take one off the knuckles from time to time...and thats on a freshwater rod seat..not a big bulky seat.

 

With such asleep at the wheel designing...I'm shocked it's as nice a reel as it is.

Thanks for the comment(s).

 

For Albie / Schooligan applications I'm rethinking this might be the right, small & light unit to go on an ODM DNA 82 rod. The longer stem only makes it better, me thinks. Overall it would be a miniature (mini-me) surf rod for those light tackle applications noted above.

 

"Back in Black" !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

I wasn’t aware they extended the stem. Is that only in the black version? Any other changes?

I wasn't aware either until I started reading through a thread on the manual line pick up controversy and someone noted the difference there. Hence I started asking around ... here and at a favorite tackle shop. I had the silver VR50  before and sold it as I lusted for something else (never used it). Then I got a couple of new light weight rods (ODM DNAs) which this will mate to nicely. The longer stem was the "game changer" (decision point) as quoted elsewhere here at SOL. 

 

Just seems to make sense (longer stem) ... and on a light weight surf / boat rod ... this thing should make for the ultimate Albie set up.

 

IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, KironaFly said:

I wasn't aware either until I started reading through a thread on the manual line pick up controversy and someone noted the difference there. Hence I started asking around ... here and at a favorite tackle shop. I had the silver VR50  before and sold it as I lusted for something else (never used it). Then I got a couple of new light weight rods (ODM DNAs) which this will mate to nicely. The longer stem was the "game changer" (decision point) as quoted elsewhere here at SOL. 

 

Just seems to make sense (longer stem) ... and on a light weight surf / boat rod ... this thing should make for the ultimate Albie set up.

 

IMHO


i used the Silver for Albies off the beach last season and it is perfect. Also used it off the kayak for fluke. I never have or ever plan to reel it underwater, but have swam with it to get to different coves when on vacation and had zero water instrusion. It’s just a great versatile reel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, ThirstyOwl III said:


i used the Silver for Albies off the beach last season and it is perfect. Also used it off the kayak for fluke. I never have or ever plan to reel it underwater, but have swam with it to get to different coves when on vacation and had zero water instrusion. It’s just a great versatile reel.  

That is good to know since I just ordered one (black VR 50) ... It's getting spooled up with 20 lbs braid as I write this. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, ThirstyOwl III said:


i used the Silver for Albies off the beach last season and it is perfect. Also used it off the kayak for fluke. I never have or ever plan to reel it underwater, but have swam with it to get to different coves when on vacation and had zero water instrusion. It’s just a great versatile reel.  

What rod / type / length did you use for onshore Albie fishing? With this VS VR50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, ThirstyOwl III said:

I had it on a mojo inshore 7’ 6”.   I’ll probably put it on a 8 - 8 1/2 foot rod this season. 

On the longer rods ... what's the upper lure rating? 2 ounces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

I use 2 max. Even on my 9 foot Rods. Just personal preference 

My 9 footers are 1 to 3 ounce ... But I have an ODM DNA that is 8 foot, max lure 2 ounce which this reel should mate well with per your experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.