Reccomendations for Heavier (2-6oz-ish) Surf Rod

Rate this topic

RyanJ_88

Hey guys,

Looking to pick up a new surf rod for throwing larger plugs, mainly pencils / spooks / metal lips / etc. that are in the 3-4.5oz range, maybe slightly heavier but not much. Whats everyone using? Likes and dislikes? Currently using 9' ODM DNA 0.5-3.5oz, and while I love the rod I don't think it really throws 0.5oz or 3.5oz that well. My assumption being the sweet-spot for 2-6 is prob right in that range for the plugs I want to throw but I could be wrong. Also I'm only 5'9" so not looking for a 12' rod, any shorter rods in the 10' range? Looking to be around the $300-400 price point. Thanks everyone!!

-Ryan

Edited by RyanJ_88

"I learned from Javier the Russian, that you never, never sit down while fishing a chunk. You gotta respect the fish, respect the bite."

I'm 5'10 and if and when I sling plugs that large, it's with an 11' St Croix Avid, the previous model with the cherry red blank. Yes, a shorter 9-10' rod is more comfortable for all day casting, but candidly I have no problem tossing that 11' rod all day. You may want to think about a longer rod, because my thought is that with a shorter blank in the 9-10' range, you may not get the action you want for pencils and metal lips. Two rods that I know of that will handle 1-5oz and are in your price range would be the 10' St Croix Avid and a 10' Shimano Tiralejo. Both rods are pretty damn fast though; not my preference for pencils, mls, or spooks.

3 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

I'm 5'10 and if and when I sling plugs that large, it's with an 11' St Croix Avid, the previous model with the cherry red blank. Yes, a shorter 9-10' rod is more comfortable for all day casting, but candidly I have no problem tossing that 11' rod all day. You may want to think about a longer rod, because my thought is that with a shorter blank in the 9-10' range, you may not get the action you want for pencils and metal lips. Two rods that I know of that will handle 1-5oz and are in your price range would be the 10' St Croix Avid and a 10' Shimano Tiralejo. Both rods are pretty damn fast though; not my preference for pencils, mls, or spooks.

Yep thats my fear, and as much as I like the DNA the action on it is a touch fast for most top-water presentations. Avid looks nice, I was also thinking ODM Genesis but I have some time to research and handle some things before I purchase.

"I learned from Javier the Russian, that you never, never sit down while fishing a chunk. You gotta respect the fish, respect the bite."

Speaking from the engineering perspective, a shorter rod that throws heavier weight has to be stiffer in order to have the required hoop strength, since the load during the cast needs to be absorbed over a lesser length.  What you are looking for is a more parabolic (deeper bending rod) for working pencils.  The best rod I have found for this type of fishing is the 12ft Shimano Tiralejo (TRS120MHA) , but only because I have not yet thrown my 4oz Plugcaster Pencils with my 11ft Tiralejo (TRS110MHA), which has the same tip section length as the 12ft, but with a 1ft shorter butt. Both are rated 2-6 oz. If I get to IBSP soon, I will give it a go and report back.  Unfortunately, due to a multitude of issues this year, I have yet to fish the beach, but should definitely be on the beach for the mullet run in September.

St. Croix Mojo 10'6" MHMF. It's rated 2-6 and can handle your range. I've used it for heavy jigging, popping, plugging etc. and if you snap it, St.Croix will send you a new top for $25 no questions asked. An added benefit is that you can buy a 3/4-4oz top for the same price giving you 2 different rods in one. It's not the absolute best, but it's not going to break the bank and I've caught hundreds of stripers on the Mojo. I just wish they made the Avid in 10-6.

34 mins ago, Trialesquire said:

Black Hole East Coast Special 10' rated 2-6oz.

It's  perfect for what you want and in your price range. I really like it. 

Good luck. 

Forgot about them thanks!!!

Blackhole cape cod nano surf 10'6 is a little expensive new. You might be able to find one for 300-400 used.  It has shorter handle than regular surf rod so its easier to cast and work for people under 6 ft. Its moderate action so it can cast 3-4 oz plugs that arent aerodynamic really far without too much work. 

2 hours ago, RockRonin said:

St. Croix Mojo 10'6" MHMF. It's rated 2-6 and can handle your range. I've used it for heavy jigging, popping, plugging etc. and if you snap it, St.Croix will send you a new top for $25 no questions asked. An added benefit is that you can buy a 3/4-4oz top for the same price giving you 2 different rods in one. It's not the absolute best, but it's not going to break the bank and I've caught hundreds of stripers on the Mojo. I just wish they made the Avid in 10-6.

I had my 10'-6" mojo explode on me a few weeks ago, I've read a lot of stories about this happening. 35$ for a new top section. It wasn't my favorite rod and I plan on selling it once I receive the top section. I bought a 10'-6" 2-6oz TFO to replace it. Huge fan of the TFO.

Edited by Turkeybacn

There's a law of diminishing returns on investment when it comes to surf rods. Things start getting decent at $110 with the Penn Battalion and the Okuma Rockaway Surf, and the zenith of that cost-effectiveness curve tops out with rods in the $200s like the Penn Carnage II and the St. Croix Surf Mojo. A 10 - 10.5 ft rod in that price range can do what you are asking for nicely.

6 hours ago, shu said:

Blackhole cape cod nano surf 10'6 is a little expensive new. You might be able to find one for 300-400 used.  It has shorter handle than regular surf rod so its easier to cast and work for people under 6 ft. Its moderate action so it can cast 3-4 oz plugs that arent aerodynamic really far without too much work. 

Was thinking about the striped bass special— more in my range new. 

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

11" BH Striped Bass Special. Love my custom.

What’s the range on that?? That might be right on the money— I’m surprised Ksong hasn’t chimed in yet 

36 mins ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Was thinking about the striped bass special— more in my range new. 

What’s the range on that?? That might be right on the money— I’m surprised Ksong hasn’t chimed in yet 

I thought surf fishermen in Long Island and NJ prefer moderate/fast action rods rather than fast action rods for casting pencil poppers. 

In my opinion, the Striped Bass Special rods are fast action rods while East Coast Special rods are moderate fast.  However the Striped Bass Special become extremely popular among Canal fishermen even for pencil poppers 

Here is bend pictures of 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 1 - 6 oz (top) and 11' Black Hole East Coast Special 2 oz - 6 oz rod.

20200814_135507.jpg

20200814_140058.jpg

Here is comment from our field tester:

My lead pro staffer for my kites tried the 12' black hole striped bass 1-6 you let me test and immediately went and bought the 10' 1-6 for back home in Florida. Paired it with a Daiwa Catalina 5000H and he loves it