Slowwwride

Time's up. Time to go back to work

Rate this topic

153 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm lost... people who are successfully working from home...

should man up, mask up, and go back to the office to work?

Why not work at home successfully for as long as they wish to?

Edited by hamlet

29 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

As a front line essential worker I'm beginning to get disgruntled with the lefties that want to leave the world on hold indefinitely. I've been out here, we've all been out here for months.... plumbers, electricians, landscapers, doctors, nurses, waste management people, contractors, utility workers, fire, police... not to mention food industry people, grocery and big box employees, gas station attendants and so forth and so on. The work from home crowd wants to stay home forever. Go back to work. Put a mask on for eight, ten, sixteen hours.... we all do it. The same people with the "Thank you essential workers!!" signs on the front lawn. Are you thankful? Most of the people I meet are assh0les.  My wife and I are both essential.... she in healthcare and I in the trades/construction. I guess we are disposable right. It's getting old.  Half of these people are out enjoying the open air and walking around their neighborhoods socializing when they are working from home... am I crazy? Entitled is not even the word. Wear your PPE. Go back to work

I've been wearing a mask and face shield for 5 months, and because of where I work, it will almost certainly never change.  It's permanent now.

And I agree.  Wash you hands, watch your hygene, and get the **** back to work already.

4 mins ago, hamlet said:

Because the bean counters are already starting to realize that letting everyone work from home is going to save a boatload of money when it comes to the office space they no longer need to rent.

Once they get that under control, it's only a matter of time till those same bean counters figure out that they can save even more money by replacing every single last home worker with an Indian who will do a better job for 1/5 of the money and will never strike, never steal, never gripe, and will actually be thankful to have the job.

So yeah, **** 'em.

The job fall out from this virus will be second to none....it will get worse....I can't believe folks are passing up part time work that are offering paid benefits..GET OFF THE FEDS MONEY TIT..KEN AND KAREN MAY CALL IT PRIVELIDGED .....RACIST....BUT GO TO WORK

Most people that are working from home are there at the direction of the employer.  They can't "go back to the office" even if they wanted to.  

I have already been told I can't go back to NYC before new years.

I probably will never go back permanently.  Fine with me.   I hate that city.

Besides it never made sense to me to commute 3 hours a day to go to a building to work on a laptop and hold conference calls.  

Why so I can pass people in the hall and say "hi"?

But I'm not out strolling.   I'm working more hours then ever.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I retired a while back and now sell Real Estate part time.  I started out at a traditional brokerage, and hated the "mandatory meetings" and a lot of the office BS.  I switched to a virtual brokerage last fall because it gave me the freedom to work from home, truly be my own boss (my broker is in KC and I've spoken to him on the phone, but never been in the same room with him). When the pandemic hit, it wasn't hard for me to keep going, as I had everything I needed all along (I do miss the big office copier, but that's ok :laugh:).  We never shut down.  After a slow Spring with everyone sheltering in place, it's been a busy summer.  I'm as busy as I want to be and have referred several clients out to other agents, because a) I don't want to hire staff and b) I don't want to work that hard.  :laugh:

There will be a big shift in employment as a result of this pandemic.  Fortunes will be made and lost.  The key is to stay informed and be prepared.  

Edited by MikeM58

I've been back in the office full time for a month now and I'm glad... waay more productive at the office than at home... the only bad thing is the coffee makers, water fountains, fridge and microwaves are off limits so I have to bring a cooler every day... 

8 hours ago, Slowwwride said:

As a front line essential worker I'm beginning to get disgruntled with the lefties that want to leave the world on hold indefinitely. I've been out here, we've all been out here for months.... plumbers, electricians, landscapers, doctors, nurses, waste management people, contractors, utility workers, fire, police... not to mention food industry people, grocery and big box employees, gas station attendants and so forth and so on. The work from home crowd wants to stay home forever. Go back to work. Put a mask on for eight, ten, sixteen hours.... we all do it. The same people with the "Thank you essential workers!!" signs on the front lawn. Are you thankful? Most of the people I meet are assh0les.  My wife and I are both essential.... she in healthcare and I in the trades/construction. I guess we are disposable right. It's getting old.  Half of these people are out enjoying the open air and walking around their neighborhoods socializing when they are working from home... am I crazy? Entitled is not even the word. Wear your PPE. Go back to work

I agree, and all those companies who pulled back on hiring or laid people off should be fined...lol

On 8/13/2020 at 10:51 PM, hamlet said:

Yeah, man up and mask up and go back to work.  Define successful? Market is in the ****. The economy has to get started again.