Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nck2412

False Albacore Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I saw on a previous topic that it was possible to catch Albies from the surf in obx. Has anyone been successful in targeting them? What months would you be most successful at fishing them from the surf? Sounds like basically a Spanish setup would work for them as well. Thanks. 

Late September through October would be your best shot from the surf.  A few are caught in the spring also.  You are not going to catch numbers but on calm days you might get a shot. When I have found them within casting distance they are not picky here.  Piers would give you a better chance on the rougher days.

We were fishing Ramp 55 one September throwing lures and my yelled - his rod was bent over... I asked him if he was hung on. He pointed at his reel and I saw it was just spinning. Looked like he was hung on the bottom.

They were hammering the Silver 1.2 oz  Skinnies.

big stack.jpg

That is awesome, thank you for sharing that. It sounds like they won’t be as frequent as Spanish, but I was wondering if people were even trying to target them? And if they weren’t maybe that’s why they weren’t being caught?

Only encounter with an albie I ever had while surf fishing OBX was Veterans Day week '87.  I was fishing the beach in Buxton a few hundred yards south of the jetty where the lighthouse used to stand. There was a pocket where a school of spearing had been corraled by a massive school of speckled trout. My brothers and I were using light freshwater rods casting Mirro Lures and bucktails into the melee, bagging speck after speck with an occasional puppy drum thrown in. All of the sudden there would be a whoosh and flash of silver as an albie would cut through the surf at high speed....sometimes very close to the beach. Darnest thing I ever saw surf fishing...no way we could guess where to throw and connect. Year or two later I was staying at a hi rise in Nags Head and from my balcony could see some kind of fish breaking surface a few yards off the beach. Grabbed my 10 foot Diawa 3 oz casting rod and a Hopkins and tried to anticipate where they'd pop up...no luck. Never did connect. Those suckers are fast.

I've fished the atlantic beach area in NC and have seen them crashing further out. Talked to people that get them there during the late fall run and early spring run. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Because they are a fast moving, schooling fish, you just have to be ready for them when they are within casting distance. Like another poster said, late September , October time frame. Small casting jigs ( stingsilvers, shorelure glass minnows, ect.) or in this case a 1/4 oz lead head with Z-man streak Z.  Also been able to catch them on the fly. 

albie.jpg

Edited by Tall Paul

Thanks, I appreciate your response’s. I’m going to try to fish for them either in obx or maybe closer to me around Assateague maybe early October. Sounds like that would be a decent time period.