PSegnatelli

Pushbutton reel advice

9 posts in this topic

My daughter will be turning 12. Loves fishing.  Loves pushbutton reels.   She has a cheap combo I got her @ 5. But the drag is shot.  I'd like to get her a new reel.  But something halfway decent. And need suggestions. 

Mainly trout, panfish bass & bullhead. 

Combo would be ok too. 

Thanks 

P

Zebco 33 classic.   Due to their design, none of them have a "good" drag.  

For $70ish bucks you can get the zebco omega, and for $40ish the zebco platinum.  I have no experience with them but they have more bearings and I am guessing some metal where others have plastic.   I'd probably go with one of these if she was really set on a clased face reel. 

Stay away from the 'micro' sizes in any brand.  Smaller isnt better here.

y son loved closed face reels as well, far past the young 'closed face reel stage", and I was going to get him a platinum.  I got him a penn battle instead.  lol

I'd try to sell her on a lady president.  Pink, if that matters, and a GREAT reel.  

She's on the spectrum and getting her to change is very hard.  If she fights something, she'll just walk away from it completely.   

I gotcha.  I went through a number of smaller closed faced reels (the micro 11, and some gold and black ones from different brands) and none of them ever worked well enough for us (me and 2 little boys who were fishaholics) to keep in the line up.  

There are a ton of cheaper full sized (by full sized I dont mean the large 'salt water" models) on the market, I dont recall the names but they are almost all the same inside.  You've seen them at walmart if you ever went there.  they work fine so long as smooth drag isnt important.  They last for a while, and for $9 or $13 you can buy based upon color and not cry when the shroud around the button cracks or one of the retaining pins sheers off.    We got a lot of use out of those.  LOTS of fish, but their favorites were the "blue" and the "gold", two 33's that caught a trillion fish and are still used for loaners and bringing non fishers out. 

In the end. imo the 33 is the group leader. 

I'm curious if the upgrade to the platinum and the omega are worth it.  I vaguely recall reading that the omega has ceramic and more pins (line pick up pins?  whatever they are called, the pins that come out to pick up the line when you reel ) .    

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had an AH-HA! Moment. 

Remembered a box of reels. A old 33, a newer 33, a 33omega & a Daiwa Silvercast.   

The older 33 needs some tlc. Probably just cleaning.  But the others have fresh line and run smoothly.  

We shall see how it goes!

The omega is a pretty nice reel!  Very smooth. Has a baitfeed option. Casts well. Drag isn't horrible.    

I may put one on my DockDemon.  I bring that with me hunting alot. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

The learning curve from a pushbutton to spinning reel is not much.  Same release when casting.

I hear you about resistance in kids but a few open water casts and she will never look back.  Have her cast something with some weight to it on a moderate action rod to start with.

21 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

The learning curve from a pushbutton to spinning reel is not much.  Same release when casting.

I hear you about resistance in kids but a few open water casts and she will never look back.  Have her cast something with some weight to it on a moderate action rod to start with.

So true.

Big slop frogs are perfect for that.  Big casts, big splash, they can see it come back, and if a fish hits it its super exciting on the surface.

Let het pick her own outfit. Even if you spend a little more, ensuring the time together will be well worth it. So what if it isn’t perfect if she is happy with it.