punkroktownie

catching mackerel on a pencil popper

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Catch at least one or two on a popper every year.  That being said, haven't yet this season, but there aren't many around here either this year.

Years ago on LI I caught my PB on a popper, just shy of 2 lbs!!

On 8/13/2020 at 8:54 PM, punkroktownie said:

Possible? Yes. Happened to me today. He ate the whole front treble! just saying. Also, it was the only one I caught.

I bet it was bigger than most of the stripers we've been catching.  Now that's irony for you, mackerel are feeding on stripers.      

A couple of years back l was plugging on the Manasquan inlet jetty beachside for blues with a pencil popper took a cast and don't you know a seagull flys right into my line my plug is skimming across the water then bam something tacks my plug the bird did some cartwheels and got free of my line now the fight is on this ain't no bluefish it was a good size Bonito l could catch them all day long that way.

Sorry being off-topic l guess most fish would take a pencil popper if it comes in front of them. 

Just found this thread after a feisty mackerel grabbed my popper today. Was wondering how unusual it was. As someone who actually likes to eat them -- grilled with mustard, a little lemon -- I wouldn't mind if it happened more often!

7 hours ago, ill_postino said:

Just found this thread after a feisty mackerel grabbed my popper today. Was wondering how unusual it was. As someone who actually likes to eat them -- grilled with mustard, a little lemon -- I wouldn't mind if it happened more often!

Do you have messages turned off?  Tried to send you a few and got, "This recipient unable to receive messages..."

54 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Do you have messages turned off?  Tried to send you a few and got, "This recipient unable to receive messages..."

he doesn't have enough posts yet...gotta have 15

On 8/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, Roccus7 said:

Catch at least one or two on a popper every year.  That being said, haven't yet this season, but there aren't many around here either this year.

Years ago on LI I caught my PB on a popper, just shy of 2 lbs!!

got one the end of last season. must have been that size. awesome. Mine was on a sabiki, I believe. fun fish.

4 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

I caught a mack on a Heddon Spook once. Came up and slammed it like a monster.

The Spook is a pretty good bait to be sure.  I have caught most of my fish this year on tube and worm, but the ones that I remember best hit a Spook on the surface.  The last one I caught on the Spook smashed at it three times before finally taking the hook.  That is fun!

57 mins ago, Baby Magnum said:

The Spook is a pretty good bait to be sure.  I have caught most of my fish this year on tube and worm, but the ones that I remember best hit a Spook on the surface.  The last one I caught on the Spook smashed at it three times before finally taking the hook.  That is fun!

It's the first thing I throw anywhere I go, I just love that topwater action. misses and hits they all give me a rush.