downset21

10’ ODM Genesis and a 5000 reel

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Do you think a Certate 5000 is too small for a 10’ odm genesis?  I’ll be throwing big metal lips and needlefish.  It feels like it’s balanced nicely.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, downset21 said:

Do you think a Certate 5000 is too small for a 10’ odm genesis?  I’ll be throwing big metal lips and needlefish.  It feels like it’s balanced nicely.

The short answer is what do you think. The reel is 10.4oz its going to feel like nothing on any rod.  After fishing with it on both a 9ft ODM and 10ft genesis It works fine on both, In general I wouldn't mind a touch bigger spool for faster take up on a windy day, but as is it does get the job done.

Edited by nfnDrum

Posted (edited) · Report post

Larger reels still have a place. My 10ft genesis will have be sporting a ZB25 when wading and plugging this fall.  But when walking the beach in sneakers which is exactly what i did last weekend at the Cape, I brought the Certate 5000 and Slammer III 4500.

ADVICE: Remove the auto bail trip on the CERTATE 5000 if your going to plug! Easiest way is to open the Arm lever Cover and remove the Kick Lever. I was lazy and didn't do it and ended up with one lost tin and broke the inside of the bail arm on another cast. The arm is still 100% functional but permanently manual. I plan to post photos when the replacement part comes in.

CERTATELT5000D.pdf

I am on the hunt to see if a 6000 spool from another reel will work on that rotor and body. 

Edited by nfnDrum

1 hour ago, nfnDrum said:

Larger reels still have a place. My 10ft genesis will have be sporting a ZB25 when wading and plugging this fall.  But when walking the beach in sneakers which is exactly what i did last weekend at the Cape, I brought the Certate 5000 and Slammer III 4500.

ADVICE: Remove the auto bail trip on the CERTATE 5000 if your going to plug! Easiest way is to open the Arm lever Cover and remove the Kick Lever. I was lazy and didn't do it and ended up with one lost tin and broke the inside of the bail arm on another cast. The arm is still 100% functional but permanently manual. I plan to post photos when the replacement part comes in.

CERTATELT5000D.pdf

I am on the hunt to see if a 6000 spool from another reel will work on that rotor and body. 

I’ve lost two plugs!  I have been lazy and haven’t removed the trip on my Certate.. it is def sensitive