R.R. Bridge Fisher

Reverse osmosis system

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

under the counter, ultra hard water. I already have a water softener. 

I have well water and use 5 gallon jugs for drinking, coffee,cooking.

Whats the scoop on these reverse osmosis systems?  Price? 

Hard water will clog up the membranes faster than soft water will.  You would probably need to replace the membranes more often than when the water is softer.

There are new softners on the market that do not use salts.  I would go with a good sediment filter, then a carbon filter and the new non salt softner.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have some nasty well water that is treated with a whole house system and a salt softener.  I then added a iSpring 7 stage RO system (RCC7AK-UV) for drinking water.  I chose the 7 stage over the 6 stage because it has an on demand UV light that kills any bacteria.  Overall I'm really happy with it and would definatly reccomend it.  Some of the filters require a swap at 6 month and others at 12 months.  I got a little behind and changed my 6 month stages at month 8 and IMO they had life left in them.  You can get the system at HD, Lowes, Amazon (all out of stock) so check out 123filter dot com.  You can pick up the unit with faucet for around $300 and get a 3 year supply of filters and uv bulbs for under $200. You'll definatly save some money. 

A couple of notes:

1. The water dispenser is a little slow so it takes a tad longer to fill a glass.  I switched from a brita pitcher/public water to well water/reverse osmosis so maybe I'm just not used to using a fridge dispenser.

2.  The unit does take up some space. It will fit under the kitchen sink but it'll fill the entire cabinet.  I chose to wall hang the unit and strap the tank inbetween the floor joists in the basement. I tapped into the main water line down there and ran a line to the fridge/icemaker and also to the RO designated faucet.  It'll be faster and easier to tap into the flex lines under your sink but a few fitting and some ice maker line to make the run upstairs was well worth it.

3.  You'll need to run a waste line as a R/O produces waste water.  I believe the kit come with the fitting to tap into your sink tailpiece.  Since I mounted mine in the basement I ran the waste line to the slop sink on the other side of the wall.

4.  If you get a unit with the UV light, obviously you'll need a receptical nearby.

5.  I ran a loop to my water filter systems so I can bypass them.  I can maintenance everything without interruption to the house.  Not necessary but another nice idea.  

20200817_103340.jpg

20200817_103223.jpg

Edited by wingsandwater

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:09 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have a whole house filter and water softener 

What's in your water that's making it hard?

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Manganese 

Calcium 

A good quality water softener should remove both of them.

You might want to have your system checked out, it might not be working properly?

or possibly consider a green sand filter in addition to your current system.

Edited by Gotcow?

Just now, Gotcow? said:

A good quality water softener should remove both of them.

You might want to have your system checked out, it might not be working properly?

Not sure that my water is safe to drink, getting sick of lugging 5 gallon jugs up the stairs. 

My water softener has salt in it and my water is high in salt it seems.

Maybe time to get water retested and go from there

4 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Maybe time to get water retested and go from there

Best place to start.

Got to know what you're dealing with before you can filter it out.

Just now, Gotcow? said:

Best place to start.

Got to know what you're dealing with before you can filter it 

Magnesium 31.79

Calcuim 202.30

Chlorine 503.50

Hardness 636.1

tds 1524.6

I put thousands into my well.

I might be getting ground contamination. 

We had ultra hard water where I grew up as a kid - off the charts, literally, hard

Dad put an R/O system in, never had an issue

The water is tasteless

For whatever thats worth, I was a kid, didn't know the details