Roy C

The Stan Gibbs Admiral’s Flag Plug

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lots of conversation about flag plugs lately however  Stan Gibbs first flag plug was not the Bicentennial. 

Back in the 80s I stopped by to see Stan Gibbs and show him my first Bicentennial Pencil popper. I asked him if he ever made any other flag plugs. He told me of a navy lieutenant Who in the early 70s wanted him to make a “set” of flag plugs for a Rear Admiral’s birthday or retirement or something. I never asked about the set what kind or how many or anything. He told me he had made or made a special box for the baits and had a sign painter either paint the box or his name on the baits. In an interview Stan recorded this with Ed Poore and then later in Frank Pintauro’s article in Hunting Fishing Collectables Magazine Stan mentions the baits for the Admiral. I had  not thought about them in over 30 some years and I have never seen or heard about them from anyone in all my time collecting 

Well here you are this is one of the Admiral’s Flag plugs with two stars representing a two Star Rear Admiral. It is a California special 11 inches long 5.25 oz compared to the Bicentennial which is 7.5 inches and 2.75 oz not fished but not mint but with the right amount wear from hanging around all these years  

this is the only one ever found. This bait too was found at an estate sale in a box with a bunch of other baits. 

Enjoy - it’s still out there

please don’t ask what it’s worth

it will be on display at next years SWLCC show at the end of April - I hope

33FA13E1-0248-4B5C-8EEB-E79BF246DE3B.jpeg

96786571-BE07-4CC3-99FE-4F27320A2649.jpeg

2B3D2D4E-F1C6-42FD-B0A4-970485D0C807.jpeg

Edited by Roy C

Roy, great story. Always interested in hearing about the history of the classic old school builders. First hand accounts are even better. Thanks for sharing that.