JButts

Maintaining/Self-servicing Stradic FK Line Roller Used in Salt

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Love this Stradic FK 5K reel except its line roller bearing seizes up. You can work it lose with some mono but once it's gotten some corrosion going it makes noise and a vibration.

1) Any way to protect a new line roller bearing so it won't seize up? Lube it? And what kind of lube?

2) Can this bearing be replaced with something that doesn't have the protective plastic spacers(which prevent you from opening the bearing and oiling it)?

Thnx. 

I've got an FJ 3000 that I always rinse after every use, but it ate a line roller bearing a couple of years ago.  I now make sure to put a drop of CorrosionX on the bearing after every couple of uses.  So far, so good.

Thanks Mike. Does the FJ have a lubrication port on it? These FKs don't have that little port that some older ones had because I guess the special sealing technology was supposed to preclude need for any oil. Yeah right!

I’m dealing with this issue on a CI4. Soaked the bearing in corrosion X for 3 days. Still grinding but better. Going to try for another few days. 

I ordered the bearing just in case. The same bearing fits in FK, CI4 and FJ ( I have them all except the FL).

On 8/15/2020 at 3:04 PM, JButts said:

Thanks Mike. Does the FJ have a lubrication port on it? These FKs don't have that little port that some older ones had because I guess the special sealing technology was supposed to preclude need for any oil. Yeah right!

Welcome.  Yes, the FJ has a lube port right up against the roller screw.

2 hours ago, hookmeup said:

Only mild improvement after soaking after 7 days. Replaced the bearing and will apply corrosion x 

The question now is how to protect that new bearing from what happened to the last one. Is there a lube that could go in there and protect it from saltwater intrusion? I read somewhere that Shimano did not recommend applying anything to the line roller assembly because it could harm the protective coating on the plastic bushings that surround the bearing. But they don't really work so seems like not an issue. 

I sort of remember also reading that anything you put in the line roller will get shot out of it by centrifugal force so...that's a problem. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m pretreating and post treating with corrosion x. I bought a spare bearing in case I need one so I hope to be good for a while. 

I did zero maintenance other than a fresh water rinse for the last three years. 

Edited by hookmeup

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/21/2020 at 7:48 AM, hookmeup said:

I’m pretreating and post treating with corrosion x. I bought a spare bearing in case I need one so I hope to be good for a while. 

I did zero maintenance other than a fresh water rinse for the last three years. 

Here's something from another post on the Stradic line roller issue. This fellow is advising getting the Stella FL line roller as a replacement. He says that the Stella line roller bearing can be replaced, presumably somewhat easily. 

"

Best thing to do with the FK stradic to resolve the crappy line roller bearing issue is to replace the unit with a Stella FI line roller bearing -  when that bearing claps out, simply gently heat the line roller (with blue rubber seals removed) and push out the inner bearing / clean any locktite green seating compound and insert a new bearing of your quality / choice. 

Within regards to the rest of the reel, what let's them down out of the box is how dry they're built in factory, the bearings are literally sneezed on with grease when assembled. "

Edited by JButts

25 mins ago, outtasight said:

You could consider buying a sealed bearing, one with a rubber seal. 

outtasight great idea. The thing I posted directly above--failed to include link when u read this thread--is using the stella FI line roller bearing(which has seals) in the stradic FK. Question is what size Stella reel line roller will fit in the Stradic FK 5000K? 

Oh I don't have either reels. You'll have to use a digital caliper to measure or just look for an upgrade kit. Boca bearings comes to mind but I seen others on the auction site. Single sealed bearing prob run ya $15-$20 or a kit for about $75.

Well my line roller bearing seized up pretty hard finally and I outlayed for three replacements from Shimano. Not bad compared to the 15 I paid to get a single replacement via the auction site. 

They say not to put anything on these because it can harm the hyrophobic coating on the plastic bushings that are part of the line roller, but that coating has failed to really work, so I guess I'll try packing the whole line roller assembly with grease and see what happens. 

What would be a good grease to use?

That's why I stopped using stadics, Loved the 5000 size paired up to a 9 ft rod for the western sound. Not anything like fishing montauk, an occasional slip and dunking.

the roller bearing would eventual always seize up.

Got tired of having to replace that bearing/assembly. Went with a VS 150 vsx, probably doesn't cast as far but no more worries about the braid sawing thru roller guide or grooving and loosing plugs because of line wear..

Great reel though.

I got my three new line rollers from Shimano. One them had a big gob of cream colored grease inside it. The other two were dry. What gives? I am going to try the greased one first.