7 Rivers

Great White sighting in Wells

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I guess another was spotted in Wells, getting a little close to home considering I wade in deep, OR DID for the time being..Think I will knit for a few weeks till the fall run happens, that day will go by quick......

35 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

I guess another was spotted in Wells, getting a little close to home considering I wade in deep, OR DID for the time being..Think I will knit for a few weeks till the fall run happens, that day will go by quick......

If that great white is over 14 inches long it would be one of the biggest fish seen in the area.   

16 mins ago, MartyK said:

If that great white is over 14 inches long it would be one of the biggest fish seen in the area.   

LMAO....Was really close to shore from what I gather...

Maybe I'm recalling things incorrectly and that 3' porbeagle I saw this AM was really a 9' white.  After all what I saw was a member of the mackerel shark family...

Oh crap, with that white patch on the trailing edge of the dorsal fin it was definitely a porbeagle.  Most time folks mistake them makos, which is beyond me because they are so dark grey as opposed to the blue hue of a mako.  The improper ID occurred so much so that years ago, when there was a thriving groundfishing party boat fleet out of Boothbay Harbor, one captain would show photos of porbeagles, that he said were makos.  Nowadays folks who remember that jokingly call porbeagles "Boothbay Harbor Makos"...

1 hour ago, Scott Charlton said:

That’s one of the funniest posts I’ve seen in a while, thank you MartyK.  Apparently right by the jetty, the pic wasn’t as terrifying as I’m sure it was.

Not too far.   I relocated from my usual beach spot because all I've been catching are micros.   It was not a great move, as they were actually smaller if that's possible.    I'm now getting excited about stripers over a foot.    

8 mins ago, MartyK said:

Not too far.   I relocated from my usual beach spot because all I've been catching are micros.   It was not a great move, as they were actually smaller if that's possible.    I'm now getting excited about stripers over a foot.    

Those the BIG Breeders? lol...

7 hours ago, punkroktownie said:

Well, it's looking good for 5 years from now, or so. They'll grow.

I might agree with you but what happened to all those micros we started seeing a few years ago?   Back then everyone couldn't wait for 2020.   If you're correct, the problem is some of us may not be around to see 2025.