55555s

Yo Zuri hydro poppers... any love?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have the smaller (7/8oz) size and use it quite frequently.  I do not target larger fish (and tend to not catch them!) so the flimsy hardware hasnt been an issue.  I like it a lot, casts like a bullet and easy to pop.

 

Anyone like the 1.5oz version?  Hows the hardware?

 

Have you replaced the tail with a single hook?  If so, which size popper and which size hook?

 

I dont really hear much about these, but imo its a should-have lure.   If you dont have it, which smaller popper do you have instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to popping plugs I believe pretty much anything which casts reasonably well and throws lots of water when you jerk it will catch you fish.

Popping plugs are all about the commotion they make In the water so I worry more about how much surface disturbance they create than what The plug actually looks like.

In fact, I don’t really care what color a popper is because I think that fish see the disturbed water around a popper more than they see the plug itself and fish don’t care about the color of the plug.

Consequently, I tend to buy inexpensive popping plugs which I can get for a good price. 
I’ll take them regardless of their color as long as they are the right size and shape and I’m getting them for a good price.

Hardware is easy to upgrade on most plugs so I tend not to worry about that either.

One of my favorite  inexpensive popping plugs is Storm’s Chug Bug.

Not much $$$ and they come in a  range of fresh and saltwater sizes.

I got a deal on some freshwater “frog” patterns years ago and have taken some quality stripers on them. Only paid $2 per plug so I took every one that they had.

The stripers don’t seem to care that  the plug is painted like a bright green frog.

As for Yozuri brand poppers, they look nice and have some fancy finishes  but the factory hardware isn’t a strong point and the finishes don’t hold up.

I’m more a fan of Yozuri’s Hydro Pencil  than I am of their popping plugs.

Unfortunately the hardware on the pencils is also too light and the finishes get ruined by multiple fish.

The Hydro Pencils do catch very well and their walk the dog action is superior to many spook style plugs.
They are one of my “must have with me” plugs but not their poppers.

Those I can do without.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great reply.    thnks

 

I have an use the chug bugs as well, thogh not for stripers I use them frequently along with 2' of leader as a DIY casting float.

 

I prefer a popper that doesnt dive or stay under much.  If I intend to pop, i like it to stay on the surface.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Great reply.    thnks

 

I have an use the chug bugs as well, thogh not for stripers I use them frequently along with 2' of leader as a DIY casting float.

 

I prefer a popper that doesnt dive or stay under much.  If I intend to pop, i like it to stay on the surface.

 

 

 

One of the reasons I like the Chug Bugs is because they are floaters. 
You can retrieve as S-L-O-W as you like, or even stop your retrieve altogether and the plug just stays on top.

Sometimes when a fish misses the plug I’ll stop the retrieve and let it sit on the surface. Very often that fish or another one right behind it will hit the plug again and I’ll hook up. 
It’s much harder to do that with a sinking plug.

Give the Chug Bugs a whirl for stripers and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see now that there is a salt specific chugbug that come sin 2 sizes.  The largest seems to be just under an ounce.  Is that the one you use?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 55555s said:

I have the smaller (7/8oz) size and use it quite frequently.  I do not target larger fish (and tend to not catch them!) so the flimsy hardware hasnt been an issue.  I like it a lot, casts like a bullet and easy to pop.

 

Anyone like the 1.5oz version?  Hows the hardware?

The hardware is very good ... 4X VMC trebles I believe. So out of the box you should be competitive when hooking a sizable fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, KironaFly said:

IMG_4867.jpeg.763522961a8a705458760d615731f20a.jpeg

 

   I've caught cobia up to 40lbs on the larger hydro popper,  as well as large jacks and redfish. None of my plugs keep factory hardware, I use VMC/Owner inlines. And just an fyi, Yo-Zuri's new mag popper is the bee's knees. Comes in 1 5/8oz & 2 7/8oz.

20200813_191419.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Local66 said:

 

   I've caught cobia up to 40lbs on the larger hydro popper,  as well as large jacks and redfish. None of my plugs keep factory hardware, I use VMC/Owner inlines. And just an fyi, Yo-Zuri's new mag popper is the bee's knees. Comes in 1 5/8oz & 2 7/8oz.

20200813_191419.jpg

Yeah ...those look pretty awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Local66 said:

 

   I've caught cobia up to 40lbs on the larger hydro popper,  as well as large jacks and redfish. None of my plugs keep factory hardware, I use VMC/Owner inlines. And just an fyi, Yo-Zuri's new mag popper is the bee's knees. Comes in 1 5/8oz & 2 7/8oz.

20200813_191419.jpg

Yooo, where are you finding those? I looked everywhere beginning of summer and couldn't find jack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saltfruit said:

Yooo, where are you finding those? I looked everywhere beginning of summer and couldn't find jack.

I work for a retailer. We got our first shipment a couple weeks ago.

 

 

20200814_103949.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Local66 said:

I work for a retailer. We got our first shipment a couple weeks ago.

 

 

20200814_103949.jpg

You lucky man.

 

Any hints as to who'd have them soon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

49 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

You lucky man.

 

Any hints as to who'd have them soon....

I work at a 75 year old family owned shop in Melbourne Florida. We're small by most standards, and haven't earned any kind of favoritism from our distributors. Your local shops should have them, and they really need your support right now. Retail is 14.99-16.99$

Edited by Local66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, Local66 said:

I work at a 75 year old family owned shop in Melbourne Florida. We're small by most standards, and haven't earned any kind of favoritism from our distributors. Your local shops should have them, and they really need your support right now. Retail is 14.99-16.99$

For sure they do.

I'll have to ask around, see if they're stocking em soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.