AKotoun

VS 150 Drag Question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

All,

Just bought a sweet used VS 150 and have a question about the drag. 

The reel is basically unused or has been used very little and seems in mint condition. The drag however as some small issues. With no drag knob attached, it still has some resistance. As i tighten it, it does get tighter but not anywhere near as tight as my other VS 150. I can max out the drag knob and still fairly easily pull drag. 

I caught one slot fish last night and the thing pulled more drag that I’m really comfortable with with the knob tightened all the way.

So I did a little forum pounding and found some ppl with similar issues but no real easy fixes. Someone said to leave it overnight fully tightened down, another said to tie the leader to something and walk/run with rod to break in the drag. 

Serial Number is 17xxx

Any help would be appreciated. 

Is this a vsx or vs? From serial look like china,,,  

Open and check drag stack?

Or take drag knob off clean all grease take pic of the retainer clip how much it is down.?

Newer vs use drag disc that are thin, and compress down not much. So not much drag,,, 

Thing of hard disc disc brake on car,, can not stop car well

Posted (edited) · Report post

lt's simple remove the C clip then push the shaft down and pull it out from the other end lift the front seal out  it pops out then you can take out the seal stack when done seal is pushed back in place with your thumb would be a good idea to buy a set of carbon X drag washers. and some drag grease.

Found pictures os every part in my pictures except for the drag washer, l had this, this might help.

VS Cut Away.PNG

Edited by LB

59 mins ago, LB said:

lt's simple remove the C clip then push the shaft down and pull it out from the other end lift the front seal out  it pops out then you can take out the seal stack when done seal is pushed back in place with your thumb would be a good idea to buy a set of carbon X drag washers. and some drag grease.

Found pictures os every part in my pictures except for the drag washer, l had this, this might help.

VS Cut Away.PNG

So what am I looking for once I pull out? 

Are they dry, are the drag washers compressed, greased? is there the right amount of drag washers and steel washers in the stack? you should be able to clamp down a good amount of drag.

What are the washers made of?