chessie_yaker

556 pistol ammo choices

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone else shoots a pistol in 556 and what ammo they have found works best with theirs, at reasonable pistol range of course. I’m trying to tighten up out to 100yds (I’ve seen video verifying the same upper is capable of this, but the guy wouldn’t share his recipe). 10.5” 1:7 floating NATO with A2 cage 

The 55gr is ok, 62gr is better, I’m wondering if anyone shoots heavier and what their results are. I’ve read that the heavier the better and I want to roll some, so I’m putting my feelers out to see what weights I could start tinkering with. I’m seeing nice stuff from 69-88gr. I’m not rolling bulk for mag dumping with this endeavor, so nicer projectiles welcome :naughty:

4 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Have no experience with a 556 pistol (I'm in NJ, nuff said) but I'd look at the barrel twist rate and go from there. 

Yeah I’ve done a good bit of digging around and all the guidance I’m finding for a short 1:7 is heavy. I’ll probably buy small boxes of a couple flavors and see what I end up with. And I hear you brother. You guys are just a little more commie than we are here in MD 

Are you shooting from a rest?

What size groups are you getting?

Even if you get great accuracy from a rest it's less likely you will realize it when shooting off hand.

Have you tried premium ammo?

Do you handload?

16 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Are you shooting from a rest?

What size groups are you getting?

Even if you get great accuracy from a rest it's less likely you will realize it when shooting off hand.

Have you tried premium ammo?

Do you handload?

The last standing shots at 75yds were with aguila 62gr and I was grouping around 18” and from a rest prone it was around 12”

I haven’t tried premium ammo yet, but I am getting the die set in the next week or so. I have a good mound of spent brass I can repurpose 

41 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

The last standing shots at 75yds were with aguila 62gr and I was grouping around 18” and from a rest prone it was around 12”

I haven’t tried premium ammo yet, but I am getting the die set in the next week or so. I have a good mound of spent brass I can repurpose 

I suggest that most of your group size comes from shooting form.  Not from gun accuracy.  Or ammo.

2 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I suggest that most of your group size comes from shooting form.  Not from gun accuracy.  Or ammo.

Standing free hand, absolutely a possibility. Rest prone... I’d think it would be consistent with other systems. 

2 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Also a 556 out of a 10.5 1x7 may not have achieved enough velocity to really stabilize the bullet , Remember it wasn't a gun designed from the ground up they took a Rifle and bastardized it mostly because they could and more so because it would Sell 

15 mins ago, jolly mon said:

Also a 556 out of a 10.5 1x7 may not have achieved enough velocity to really stabilize the bullet , Remember it wasn't a gun designed from the ground up they took a Rifle and bastardized it mostly because they could and more so because it would Sell 

My expectations were sub 50yds, but once I saw that YouTube and the guy was hitting 12” steel consistently at 100yds I set out on a mission haha. I do understand and hear you though. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, chessie_yaker said:

Standing free hand, absolutely a possibility. Rest prone... I’d think it would be consistent with other systems. 

I'd put it on a rest on a bench and use a sandbag support at the rear.

Or use a Ransom rest.

You can't judge a rifle accuarcy in a prone position.

Yes you might get good groups prone.  But if you get bad groups you can't be sure why.

Or rest like this.

11.jpg

Edited by Steve_in_PA

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, jolly mon said:

Could be.  If a good rest is used you may be able to analyze the bullet holes to see if they are clean or show some wobble/keyholing.

Another instance where handloading might help.

If the bullets are being stabilized then the gun should be capable of no worse than 4 MOA.

If I was handloading for an AR pistol I'd probably start with a relatively fast powder and a heavier bullet.

Chronographing a load might also indicate if it's stable.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

While ordering my 223 die set, I decided to google my question here and after some sifting found an interesting article from ammoland. The author tinkered with a couple loads for the pistol/sbr with the same barrel length as mine and found a heavier projectile to do a better job. 

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/08/shooting-lightweight-loads-ar-pistols-sbr/#axzz6Vu3eXF9j

shortest i go is 12.5 in.  

you need at least 11 to run it reliably with a DI gas system.  if you go, say 9 in you should use a short stroke gas piston system.  that's less than ideal because most piston designs have bolt carrier tilt (the exception being HK).

my 12.5 eats 55 gr, 62gr, 70 gr and 77 gr.

i zero at 100 yds with 55 gr (m193 ball) and it's close to the same zero with 77 gr Mk 262 at 100 yds.

5 hours ago, fishweewee said:

you need at least 11 to run it reliably with a DI gas system.  if you go, say 9 in you should use a short stroke gas piston system.  that's less than ideal because most piston designs have bolt carrier tilt (the exception being HK).

i zero at 100 yds with 55 gr (m193 ball) and it's close to the same zero with 77 gr Mk 262 at 100 yds.

Mine is 10.5” 1:7. I was considering 11.5-12.5, but I saw good things about the upper, saw a video of a guy ringing steel at 100yds and now I’m chasing that haha. 

I have a bag of 62gr Hornadys (they look like spitzers) coming with the die set. Still trying to locate small rifle primers. 

On 8/13/2020 at 0:11 PM, Steve_in_PA said:

I'd put it on a rest on a bench and use a sandbag support at the rear.

Or use a Ransom rest.

You can't judge a rifle accuarcy in a prone position.

Yes you might get good groups prone.  But if you get bad groups you can't be sure why.

Or rest like this.

11.jpg

After reading this a second time I think I left out a vital piece of info ... I was on a rest prone. When I test for accuracy I’m always on a rest or bipod, I use my shoulder instead of a sandbag, almost always prone unless I’m somewhere that doesn’t allow it. If I can’t shoot prone and they don’t have a bench, I’m just killing paper. 

5 hours ago, fishweewee said:

I know you’re an AR head and this goes to any other that may read this as well...

is it really worth it to put an adjustable gas block in a pistol? Second question... has anyone here dropped the G42 buffer and spring in theirs?