MontclairDave

Frog Rod Recommendatiion

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi! Looking to get into frog fishing with a rod that is strong enough for pulling fish out of heavy stuff occasionally but mostly going to fish frog along weed and pad lines in more open water. Plus I’d like it to be versatile enough for other applications like fishing a swim jig or paddle tail. 

Could I get away with a MH? 

I fish out of a kayak.

$100 max.

Thanks!

David 

Edit - fixed the title for you ~ Sudsy
Edited by Sudsy

23 mins ago, MontclairDave said:
Hi! Looking to get into frog fishing with a rod that is strong enough for pulling fish out of heavy stuff occasionally but mostly going to fish frog along weed and pad lines in more open water. Plus I’d like it to be versatile enough for other applications like fishing a swim jig or paddle tail. 

Could I get away with a MH? 

I fish out of a kayak.

$100 max.

Thanks!

David 

David, 

there are many rods in this price range that will be just fine for frog fishing. You could get away with a MH stick if you wanted to. I run a 7’4 heavy with 50lb braid on my frog set up, although I do throw a MH now and again I do find if you are fishing very heavy cover and that bass decides to wrap you up in the  slop (they always do) having a heavy rod helps to pull them out. All of your big brands have a rod in this price range for the most part that will suffice, maybe head to a local tackle shop or bass pro and handle a couple before you buy. 

Best of luck. 

Check out the Shimano SLX. Awesome rod for $100! I mainly use it for frogs, but I’ve also used it for jigs, chatters, and bigger swimbaits. I think the one I have is 7’ which has been ideal for me out of the kayak. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Dobyns Fury 735  $110

Yup this ^^ Rod fishes more like a $200 rod. It’s got the perfect tip and has loads of backbone. It is 7’3” Dobyns rates this rod a mag heavy which IMO is a tad bit heavier than your standard medium heavy.. I don’t think you’ll find a better rod at this price point. It’s also a great swim jig, weedless paddle tail, flipping rod. This rod can do a lot

Edited by Justinj