outtasight

Anyone Familiar w/ Stradic 4000F Anti-Reverse?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anti reverse started slipping on me so decided to tare the reel down and try degreasing the AR. Opened up the roller clutch assembly and noticed the felt ring/gasket has become detached from the ring that sits on springs. Does this look fixable to you guys? Besides gasket, the springs, plastic housing and bearings seem to all be in good shape. Am I wrong in thinking the slip is just from grease creeping in over time or do these parts wear and I just can't notice? 

DSC_0001.JPG

Edited by outtasight
Spell Check

Is there any oxidations on the bearings or inner sleeve? If not, no worries. de-grease to all parts than add a few drops oil to parts, including felt ring, bearings etc.

DO NOT GREASE OR WD40 to any part of the Anti-reverse.

ONLY SYNTHETIC OIL.

Taking one of these apart is tedious. The parts are small and easily lost. When disassembling, take lots of picture. First, soak the keyed washer, springs and cylinders in corrosion x, then soak in freshwater.  Always count the small parts and keep them in a container, you may need tweezers to handle them. When I fix these, I Dremmel the cylinder heads and metal gasket with a light sander, while holding the cylinder with a locking pliers, and then use a polishing attachment.
I then soak the plastic housing in dawn dish detergent in water, rinse it, soak it in acetone, and then rinse it off. 

Took it apart, degreased everything reassembled and still skipping. Don't really understand how it could just not work outta nowhere, maybe something got worn? Ordered a 16381 since the 8850 has been discontinued, hopefully that fits......

Now I'm dealing with a intermediate grinding. I'm not 100% but I think it's the Drive Gear rubbing against the osccilating slider. Can't understand how as it's happening not every revolution and the drive gear seems fine, no chips or markings but something seems outta round in that area, judging just by the intermediate grinding noise.

You might check the shims under the handle bearing. Try adding one or removing one. Sometimes the gears don't mess just right on older reels and doing this has helped me more than once.

I replaced the anti reverse a few weeks ago along with bearings. Almost 100%, I cheeped out and didn't replace the pall bearing and the oscillating bearing. They seemed ok but it's not Stradic smooth so I'll have to order them soon. No more grinding just I can keep up with the handle, you Stradic owners know when you get that handle going it wants to spin faster than you can move your hand. Right now I can keep up with it. lol