Spearing Pattern

Rate this topic

cashews121

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

looks nothing like a spearing,too wide,flies don't slim down in the water,they flare out

Somebody better tell the thousands of anglers that have caught tens of thousands of bass feeding on spearing  on Ray’s Flies that they are doing it wrong. 
Funny when I’m working a jig in the Canal, it looks thinner than it looked in my bag. Must be just me.

57 mins ago, snookster said:

Somebody better tell the thousands of anglers that have caught tens of thousands of bass feeding on spearing  on Ray’s Flies that they are doing it wrong. 
Funny when I’m working a jig in the Canal, it looks thinner than it looked in my bag. Must be just me.

when you pull it out of the water it slims down,which is pretty much never the way to look at a fly's true profile...Rays fly looks nothing like a spearing,bass are simply opportunists

Ray explained to me many years ago how the color combination suggested a spearing. It gave him confidence fishing it, so I guess that means something. My experience is also that stripers are generally opportunistic feeders. Most flies and lures do not closely resemble any baitfish but can still be very effective. You have to catch the fisherman before catching the fish.

Got to agree with slip on this one. In reality at best a salt water fly represents something that is worth either eating or attacking or a fish is curious about it. Ok this of course is simply my opinion.

I have seen thousands of spearings and Rays fly good as it is looks in fish catching terms  is nothing like any bait fish. It looks to me like a man made fly.  Same applies  all fly patterns.

Sorry to be a a Heretic but I never subscribed to the Halford school of exact replication of the natural fly. It is simply impossible. It was and is total BS. 

How can we match the hatch with an artificially tied fly exactly . We can’t.

It is not flesh, it does not posses  a fish smell. Worse it can smell of moth balls or other man  made substances.

But fish will when they decide eat or at least attack our offerings thankfully.

Mike

1 hour ago, snookster said:

Maybe the key is not how closely the fly looks like a baitfish but how much it acts like a baitfish. 

Imagine looking up from below and seeing 1,000 spearing, then imagine seeing one that’s close but a little different. It doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb and look out of place tho. 

That’s potentially an easier target for a predator. The fly should act like the bait, look close to it but not an exact copy. That’s why it gets eaten. 

Edited by Drew C.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.