JBreese1

The plumbing domino effect

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Well I had a simple plumbing job domino into a major ball breaker today. The shower in our master bath began dripping and would not shut off completely.I went down into the gun range to shut off the supply's and also found water leaking down the pipes [risers] and soaking the plywood floor and joists. I then found out that the dickhead who plumbed the house back in 1985 never installed individual shut - offs for the tub and showers. I had already bought the replacement cartridge kit for the master bath so I figured I would just shut of the main, switch the cartridge and be done. Now we have an finished basement and the main shut-off for the house is under the wet bar. I grab the handle and turn it and the entire valve fails. The body sheared at the packing nut and the water pressure shot the stem and handle right out. Now I have gushing water squirting into the finished basement and no way to shut it off except at the meter under my lawn. I shoved a bolt into the valve body, wrapped it with duct tape and ran outside to the meter. I don't mow my own lawn and never realized that the lawn service was not trimming around the meter access hatch. It was almost completely covered. I had to run around back, grab my old trimmer and chord and weed whack around the meter hatch. Now I am dealing with one of those 5 sided bolts that probably has not been removed in 35 years. I could not get it to budge. I had already called the water company for an emergency shut off and had the dumbest slow talking bitch who had to go through her clipboard of questions. I told her right off that the main shut-off in the house failed and it had to be shut off outside all the while my basement is flooding. Her next question was "Did you try shutting off the main?"  I handed the phone to Holly, grabbed my biggest vice grip and a hand sledge and managed to open up the shut-off access and stop the water flooding into the finished basement. In the mean time the drone from the water company told Holly someone would have to call her back. Bottom line / I spent the day replacing the main water shut-off valve, then the shower valve cartridge and wet vacuuming and steam cleaning the carpet downstairs. All because of a dripping mixer valve.  The water company showed up 3 hours later while I was sweating in the new main valve and wanted to know if they should close up the meter hatch. LOL 

Jim

Posted (edited) · Report post

Glad you got it fixed! Many towns now want ‘integral stops’ right at the shower/tub control. In NY the five sided nut is only the cover, a town water key is needed for the street shutoff valve deep in the lawn. Easy enough to notch some 3/4” pipe and make your own water key. Whenever anyone shuts their main, they should always shut the valve on the house side of the meter if possible, NOT the street side!!!

Edited by cheech
Spelling

1 min ago, mitchell master said:

You knew all that hadn't been turned in a coon's age.Always go to the main outside at the meter first.

My meter is in the house. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, MikeMc said:

My meter is in the house. 

Mine too.  And the valve works, luckily 

hope your basement is not too bad Jim.  Water damage blows.  

Edited by makomakoman

30 mins ago, JBreese1 said:

The water company showed up 3 hours later while I was sweating in the new main valve and wanted to know if they should close up the meter hatch. LOL 

How much did they want to charge you for that service?

12 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Mine is too along with the main shutoff right at the wall

If that valve fails, know where to go up the line.