Smcapple

Niantic Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Long time fresh water angler hoping to get into striper fishing a little more. Absolutely love smallmouths on a fly so with a planned get away to Niantic Labor Day week, I'm hoping to fly fish for stripers.  I've seen some feedback from members suggesting locations that general area.....Groton's Bluff Point State Park, Niantic's Cini Park among others. Not too familiar with any of these areas, so any suggestions on where to fly fish?  I'd love to try areas like salt ponds, back water areas, etc. Another question I have is the timing of our trip. What should I be targeting that week? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks. 

It's a great area for fly rodding but access for non residents is a problem. Hilyers tackle in Niantic is focuses on boat and shore angling but staff are knowledgable about shore access. Visit the shop off peak time and buy something. If you are real lucky you might meet the legendary Niantic Bob. He's developed some of his own fly patterns. 

Harkness Memorial state park is in Waterford and has access to wide beaches. There's a state boat lunch at Pleasure beach in Waterford but the fishing is from rocks that can get crowded. I did not have much luck in that area in the fall of 2019. But in prior years have caught Blues, Stripers, Albacore and Bonito. The bait can be small Bay Anchovies or silver sides so include flies from 2 to 4  inches in your fly box. Clousers are my go to fly in this area. A saltwater fishing license is needed. Good Luck

Oh boy, it’s been a long time since I fished there.

you could try harkness park, ocean beach park, niantic river, Jordan cove. Nights are better. Do you have a yak?Access will be tough Labor Day w/e. Go to Hillyers Tackle shop.

pm if you want more info.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The areas out in the sound are so good up there I'd try to get on a charter for a day or just a half. If possible. 

Edited by Kml

I wish there was still shore access at the millstone powerplant. (next door to Niantic)..closed off since 9/11. Before that closure, 'holdover' albies in December were part of my catch

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by TimS
This is a discussion forum - please feel free to ask your question in the forum so it can be responded to in the forum - thanks.

I live in Old lyme I fish all over that area Ocean beach is a great spot Waterford town beach seaside pleasure beach for albies!

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I'm hoping to try many of the spots mentioned while I'm in the Niantic area.  I'm also considering taking my kayak out on the Niantic river to fish a couple of mornings.  Any suggestions on doing that?  I generally take my kayak out on the local western MA rivers so not planning on venturing out into the bay. Don't trust myself to do that. Thanks again everyone.

I just returned from my Niantic get away and although I did't catch anything to write home about, the times I did get out were great.  To sum it all up I caught a bunch of snapper blues on surface poppers.  They were all over the place.  First time catching those fish and it was a blast.  I can't imagine the fight in a larger blue fish.  Next time I will have my fly rod prepared because small blues on a fly rod will be a good day. 90% of the time I fished the jetty at the east end of the Hole In the Wall Beach and most of the beach area itself.  Also took a hike one day to Bluff Point State Park and fished from some of the rocky areas, resulting in no catches.  What a nice scenic area.  I'm hoping to make the drive back down when the fall run really heats up hoping to catch some stripers.  Again, I appreciate the prior feedback from everyone.

And we appreciate feedback from you.

By SOL standards, this is a wee bit specific as to place. (" ... the jetty at the east end of the Hole in the Wall Beach ...")  Beware the dread attack of the Spot Burn Posse. But we forgive you in this case 'cause you're a new guy and want to express thanks.  And your information, even better, is not so current as to tempt current report chasers. :)

Since a number of you gentlemen are familiar with area .. I've got a question about the Millstone warm water discharge.  

I frequently fish from my SUP (standup paddle board).   Is is that area safe for SUPs & Kayaks ?