Newly Spooled Reel & Knots in the Line

Rate this topic

beerspitnight

Hi,

I just got my reel spooled with braid, and I keep getting knots in the line when I cast out hard. This has happened to me in the past as well.  Can anyone share a technique that I can use to avoid having this issue in the future?

Thanks.

This should help.

Casting and retrieving can cause a problem with knots in your line that some call wind knots. Wind has nothing to do with the knots. The problem happens when we cast then flip the bail and reel in. Often the first loop of line that is reeled in will be loose and as we continue to reel more line is placed over that loose loop. Then when we cast again the loops of line coming off the spool will pull on the loose loop that will be sticking up. Eventually a loop coming off the spool will pull the loose loop off before it's turn and you will end up with a small area of line thats twisted together but small enough to pass through your guides. Then as you reel in and pressure is put on the line the twisted line will pull tight and the knot will form.

Easiest way to avoid this is when you make a cast you first close the bail with your hand and before you even touch the handle you pull your line tight so that loose loop doesn't form.

Here are a few pics showing a loop that is formed when you have loose line on the spool. the second pic is what happens when you cast and that loose loop comes off the spool before it's time. Reel in and that loose line will pull into a knot you won't ever get out. So cast, flip bail by hand and pull your line tight before you turn the handle.

5f34aede9b237_009(1).JPG.3e166225b85dd6f5d3a965d23ec572f5.JPG

5f34af3eb1374_011(1).JPG.23645e44e50cf051ecdc7bc6ee38ac1e.JPG

9 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

This should help.

Casting and retrieving can cause a problem with knots in your line that some call wind knots. Wind has nothing to do with the knots. The problem happens when we cast then flip the bail and reel in. Often the first loop of line that is reeled in will be loose and as we continue to reel more line is placed over that loose loop. Then when we cast again the loops of line coming off the spool will pull on the loose loop that will be sticking up. Eventually a loop coming off the spool will pull the loose loop off before it's turn and you will end up with a small area of line thats twisted together but small enough to pass through your guides. Then as you reel in and pressure is put on the line the twisted line will pull tight and the knot will form.

Easiest way to avoid this is when you make a cast you first close the bail with your hand and before you even touch the handle you pull your line tight so that loose loop doesn't form.

Here are a few pics showing a loop that is formed when you have loose line on the spool. the second pic is what happens when you cast and that loose loop comes off the spool before it's time. Reel in and that loose line will pull into a knot you won't ever get out. So cast, flip bail by hand and pull your line tight before you turn the handle.

5f34aede9b237_009(1).JPG.3e166225b85dd6f5d3a965d23ec572f5.JPG

5f34af3eb1374_011(1).JPG.23645e44e50cf051ecdc7bc6ee38ac1e.JPG

Thank you for that information.  I appreciate the time that you took to write that.

22 mins ago, bdowning said:

95% of the time the loops are due to either overfilling or using automatic bail trip or both. Most reels are braid friendly at this point, but require different handling with braid vs. mono. 

Thank you. I always manually trip the bail.  My dad taught me to never use the automatic bail trip a long time ago

Edited by beerspitnight

2 hours ago, beerspitnight said:

It is an 8' Surf Mojo with 20# Power Pro.  Thank you.

IMG_20200813_081143.jpg

That reel looks like a Penn battle, to me part of your problem is line is stacking more to the back there is a gap in the front if there are shims under the spool remove one that would move more line lay more to the front of the spool.

4 mins ago, LB said:

That reel looks like a Penn battle, to me part of your problem is line is stacking more to the back there is a gap in the front if there are shims under the spool remove one that would move more line lay more to the front of the spool.

It is a Penn Battle 2.  I will do some research on the shims and then make adjustments.  Thank you.