Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am making a baitfish imitation. No fly tying involved, just a piece of rubber hot glued to a hook. I plan to use this like a teaser. I noticed that a lot of teasers and surf candies have their hook point facing down. Is it important for the hook to face down? Maybe so the weight will be on the bottom and the teaser can swim upright?

I moved this thread to the Main Forum...it's probably the best place for this discussion :)

Yes, most teasers and flies are tied with the hook point facing down so they keel properly and 'swim' upright. The only times you would tie them with the hook point facing up is when you put enough weight on the shank opposite some type of buoyant, soft materials opposite that weight, like on a clouser style fly.

Is there a reason why you want to make the hook point face up?

TimS

3 hours ago, TimS said:

I moved this thread to the Main Forum...it's probably the best place for this discussion :)

Ah, OK. I will keep that in mind next time.

3 hours ago, TimS said:

Is there a reason why you want to make the hook point face up?

For me, it "just feel right". Looking at it reminds me of a swimbait, which usually have upright hooks. I did a water test and hook point indeed wants to go down. I been seeing some baitfish in my area this DIY teaser looks just like them.5f344fae6789d_20200812_1554081.jpg.933240dd50bfc57630b262546088822a.jpg

2 hours ago, AmericanStriper said:

Ah, OK. I will keep that in mind next time.

For me, it "just feel right". Looking at it reminds me of a swimbait, which usually have upright hooks. I did a water test and hook point indeed wants to go down. I been seeing some baitfish in my area this DIY teaser looks just like them.5f344fae6789d_20200812_1554081.jpg.933240dd50bfc57630b262546088822a.jpg

That should work just fine as a peanut bunker imitation.  Hook down won’t be a problem unless you’re in a very weedy area.

As long as the hook ride up or down you should be fine - you don't want it spinning or flip flopping or riding on it's side :)

TimS

As a true teaser...the lighter it is, the less "helicoptering" on the cast and the less tangling during the retrieve.

Thus the usual feathers and hair.