dannyplug1

copic markers

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

thinking about purchasing some copic markers.  I have a compressor set up for air brushing.  the compressor is not a mini hobby type it is a small shop compressor.  Is it possible to run the copic as this as the source of air?  or does it require cans of air (very expensive) or does it require a hobby compressor.  Also how is the quality of the markers as compared to a sharpie?  do the marker colors fade.  Would appreciate any info on the coppice system or the markers.  thanks charlie

16 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

I think I remember seeing a Copic system upgraded to a compressor for bigger bucks.

That's if you can actually find one for sale.Their "system" is just about impossible to find except for those hugely expensive "cans".

Posted (edited) · Report post

They don't require their canned air.... that option is way too expensive anyway.    I use a small compressor like yours (a nail gun compressor).

Copic1.png.461cec4fb12fdce757b3bb0d70104baf.png

This work just fine for the Copic spray system.   All in all the Copic pens seem great with hundreds of color options though to be honest got them a short while ago and haven't really got to far into it yet.  Was using Copics to color white saddle hackles so I don't have to purchase all those expensive capes.    Probably not as color fast as colored hackles but flies don't last that long and the colors available are almost limitless if you look at their available color charts. 

If you go that route you can save the money by skipping on the hose system that goes with the Copic spray system.   Purchase the pen holder with the air tank / hose adapter (skip the canned air).

Copic2.png.8a9c98980642203d185d1680babe1936.png

But don't purchase the Copic Air Hose, which is ridiculous money, at over $100

Copic3.png.e41b98945176cd4cc7abbfe79c0a6e27.png

instead head over to Amazon and these two items are almost identical to the Copic Air Hose and work great.

Copic4.png.10f3bf722a1f3f340f155634c3895e99.png

and a flow meter (even has a quick disconnect).

Copic5.png.ac651bd75b4e38f7810e927e8619056b.png

all for $70 + less than the Copic Air Hose.

Copic Pens are nice as you can purchase additional ink and refill them when they start to dry up.

HT

Edited by HillTop

Question;Do you need "dry" air? I like your idea Hilltop.I have a large sears tank on wheels compressor for charging the small portable tanks to use for filling tires when coming off the beaches that don't have air stations[I like better.No crowds].They don't have condensation filters.Just curious.Thanks

29 mins ago, theshadow said:

Question;Do you need "dry" air? I like your idea Hilltop.I have a large sears tank on wheels compressor for charging the small portable tanks to use for filling tires when coming off the beaches that don't have air stations[I like better.No crowds].They don't have condensation filters.Just curious.Thanks

Shadow,  

That's probably a question of degrees, how much does you compressor generate in condensation and/or if it's an older compressor how much lubrication oil blow-by do you get mixed in the air.  With my dad's old shop compressor I could feel an oily residue if I sprayed air on my skin it had that much leak-by.    I would think a small amount of water / moisture won't hurt as the Copic Pens use alcohol based ink and water and alcohol are compatible.  Obviously if the air discharge was spraying a mist that could be an issue.    For cheap money you could add a coalescing filter to your output, like the following, to get rid of most of any junk in the air.   Probably not a bad idea anyway for filling your beach tanks too.  

filter.png.a1b734c098d93bbd6c9f2446f214bc27.png

Bravo! Yep,every time I fill the portables it's one of those things the "little man" on my shoulder keeps reminding me about.I never fill them above 100#.But even then it's bye bye birdie if one blows.The compressor is drained and valve opened to remove moisture but I haven't noticed any moisture when it's being used.So, now I'll have to put an old piece of t-shirt over the chuck and check as the compressor is charged up.I'm going to look into your idea too Thanks.