coolhandfluke

plumbers question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

my dishwasher/kitchen sink have there own drain.   my wife kept telling me she sees water on the floor in the basement. i couldnt figure out where it was coming from.

all pipes were dry. finally i dumped a bucket of water in the sink and come to find the water was backing up in the drain and going up into the vent tube, then coming back down into the basement.

i dumped a bottle of draino in it and ran hot water through it and it cleared.  i dont have a garbage disposal. there is a screen in the dishwasher drain and sink, what would cause the drain pipe to clog ?

i am guessing it was at the elbow where it turns to go out side the wall.  no trees in the vicinity to have roots growing through it.   i no longer have cesspools for the last 20 years 

3 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

my dishwasher/kitchen sink have there own drain.   my wife kept telling me she sees water on the floor in the basement. i couldnt figure out where it was coming from.

all pipes were dry. finally i dumped a bucket of water in the sink and come to find the water was backing up in the drain and going up into the vent tube, then coming back down into the basement.

i dumped a bottle of draino in it and ran hot water through it and it cleared.  i dont have a garbage disposal. there is a screen in the dishwasher drain and sink, what would cause the drain pipe to clog ?

i am guessing it was at the elbow where it turns to go out side the wall.  no trees in the vicinity to have roots growing through it.   i no longer have cesspools for the last 20 years 

grease

11 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

grease

This,when I met my wife she swore pouring grease bacon fat oil down the drain was okay as long as you followed it up with hot water.then I explained that we have a drain field we are not on public sewer and the pipes would still in fact clog. I'm glad I caught that early wtf

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Check the the highest part of your roof, then jump. 

i knew you would be first to answer with your silliness.    thanks.:howdy:

i would expect nothing else from you

Edited by coolhandfluke

20 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Could be a tree frog.

lol.  had them in the toilet 2 different times.  both times the wife found them.  went up and put mesh screen on the vent.  trees are all gone since then.

2 mins ago, Lucky said:

Call Roto Rooter. Srsly

No way, those ****s charge like $400 to clear a drain. Go spend $100 on a Ryobi powered drain auger. Problem solved.

20 mins ago, Slack Tidings said:

No way, those ****s charge like $400 to clear a drain. Go spend $100 on a Ryobi powered drain auger. Problem solved.

if it gets that paid i have a friend with something like that as he has root problems.

i am thinking RED was right with grease.

With the options given, and what sink drain is involved, I'd go with grease.

If it were a bathroom drain (sink/tub) then I'd say hair and/or pieces of soap from a bar that needed to be replaced.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Normally in mass us plumbers waste the dishwasher into a wye tail piece off the kitchen basket strainer. If a garbage disposal is under the sink in lieu of the wye fitting there should be a knock out on the disposal for the DW waste line.  

Need a picture of the connection where the water is coming out. You can do an indirect waste with your dish washer into a trap, just like a laundry tray and hose.  

Edited by The Riddler