WorcBoy

Spheros SW/Nasci4000

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

OK

This is a Scooby question:

How much more "sealed" is a Spheros SW4000 than a Nasci 4000?

Im on my 3rd season with the Nasci, getting a little noisy. I was going to replace before vacation but ran out of time. Fished it hard last week, lots of small bass and it was great. I did take a couple falls off the paddle board and it got dunked so it needs to be broken down. Just wondering if I'd be better served with the SW4000.

ALSO: I saw a twin spin 4000 while at Goose Hummock. Wauy over priced but Il ikes the round EVA knob....any after market around?

Thanks

Bill

One night while soaking a bait at the beach i didn't notice the rod holder had fallen into the surf,i was using a Penn SSM 950 spinfisher would have been in the water guessing 10 mins submerged.Next morning opened it up and found nothing,no special seals on them just enclosed bearings.Was very surprised and the real kept on working after that.Recently wading a daiwa laguna got submersed a few times for 10 seconds at a time the real had no enclosed bearings but open bearings,opened it up later that day and nothing ?.Still using that real.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My understanding from watching Scoob’s videos is that the 2019 Spheros 3000 & 4000 SWs are essentially Stradic FKs with a few bushings in place of bearings to maintain that economical $120 price point.  For proper sealing, It’s the larger $200 to $260 Spheros reels from sizes 5000 to 20000 that have the rubber (X-Sheild) seals and hydrophobic (X-Protect) coating to protect the rotor shaft internals.

Edited by Water Dog

56 mins ago, Water Dog said:

My understanding from watching Scoob’s videos is that the 2019 Spheros 3000 & 4000 SWs are essentially Stradic FKs with a few bushings in place of bearings to maintain that economical $120 price point.  For proper sealing, It’s the larger $200 to $260 Spheros reels from sizes 5000 to 20000 that have the rubber (X-Sheild) seals and hydrophobic (X-Protect) coating to protect the rotor shaft internals.

@WorcBoy couldn't have said it better myself....

If you need a kick around spinner look at the spinfisher of the same weight 

Better sealing albeit not perfect.. And simpler to work on the spheros 4k /stradic is pretty complex.. Nice reel but not a ride hard put away wet type reel 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/11/2020 at 9:42 PM, scoobydoo said:

@WorcBoy couldn't have said it better myself....

If you need a kick around spinner look at the spinfisher of the same weight 

Better sealing albeit not perfect.. And simpler to work on the spheros 4k /stradic is pretty complex.. Nice reel but not a ride hard put away wet type reel 

So I have Stradic FK 5000 love it except this line roller seizes up. Fishing backbays. Moisture is coming off the line and from casting only really. No windknots ever on this reel. Should I buy a Spheros 5K will it not line roller corrode?

Edited by JButts

Take a look at the 5:20 mark, addressing the line roller...  It seems that they’re using a bushing instead of a bearing that looks to be easier to access to clean and add a few drops of oil to maintain.

Thanks a lot Waterdog for sharing the video. It sounds like no conclusion drawn from the TackleAdvisors video narrator as to whether that bushing is an improvement over the bearing. I wonder how this bushing would fail and what the consequences would be. In the Daiwa BG I think it was a bushing as well but I think it was plastic. When that seized up it would start grinding up other parts of the line roller assembly and the thing just stopped working really. 

No matter what you do, water is going to get in your roller. An advantage to a bushing is it fills the void more completely, helping limit water intrusion. A bearing has voids that draw the water into them, and with it small particles of dirt. A bunch of applications really would prefer a bushing, but adding bearings is popular now, so people think a bearing is better. 

As with everything, maintenance makes a difference. A well maintained bushing is more reliable than a poorly maintained bearing.