Stryper Snyper

Hey Derrick. Need some Chincoteague info

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

We have eaten at Steamers, Famous Pizza and of course island creamery and Mr whippies.  Ohh and subs from gas station in the traffic circle.

Off the island we hit Ray's Shanty and Crusty Crab in greenbackville because we are right there.

9 times out of 10 we are usually grabbing food on the way off rhe Beach and on our way home or grabbing subs to take out with us or if the girls go over shopping we dock the boat and meet them for lunch.

16 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Guy I work with heading down Friday for the weekend.  Any recommendations on place to take his woman for dinner or lunch?  Must eat here kinda places?

Don's has a tent set up overlooking the channel and bridge with picnic tables. Food's pretty good but not fancy, location is probably the best you'll get right now.  Ray's is carry out only which is the last way I want to eat seafood. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

For lunch, we (family) like Sea Star Cafe and Pico Taqueria. Food has always been fresh, and nice variety other than typical fried food stuff. Hard to beat fish tacos with Cobia or Drum... 

Dinners, Bills Seafood, Ropewalk restaurants have always been nice, and for causual, Capt Zack's (outdoors picnic tables or carry out) . It's been a few years, but have had nice dinners at AJ's and Etta's.

Had Famous Pizza, food was fine, but have had better pizza elsewhere and prefer the food at Pico's and Sea Star for lunch. Last summer we had pizza at Cosa's (food truck in the owners yard) that was very good, and the food truck "Better" near the mini golf place. Both were very good, and will definitely go back again...

Lot of it is what do they prefer to eat... lot's of variety if you look around.

Edited by JAL

11 hours ago, hot tuna said:

also there's a small little known vietnamese rest in the heart of town that is A++ for food !

I always forget about that place. We're only ever down there in the off season and that place keeps odd hours that time of year, so we've only ever eaten there a couple of times (both were very good and a nice change of pace from typical CI food). 

8 hours ago, luckyOC said:

What about that taco / mexican joint across from capt steves?  Saw it a few times but never stopped.

That is Pico Taqueria. My brother and his family like it, and it's typically quite busy...

Capt Zacks for an order of fish tacos you can't finish.

Lilly's little mexico for some amazing authentic Mexican

Built your own cookie is a must stop for a treat

and of course you need an orange crush from Chincotiki

9 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Crusty Crab is closed until further notice

They are having a rough year. Closed due to covid, heat, and now the family matter....assuming they'll lose some more days this fall due to flooding from storms.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I always felt the best place to eat on the island was your own place if you can. Between Gary Howard’s, and my favorite, Ricky’s on Bebee, you can get all the seafood and crabs you want for a decent price. Also there is a new Farmers Market on Maddox where the old Pico used to be. The lady has great fresh steaks, chicken, eggs and produce. Also, there is another market by Churches Hardware sells great pies and desserts.
I would stick to the trucks for food - Woody’s, Pico, Cosa are all good. Sea Star and Poseidin’s  Pantry have good sandwiches. Everything is kind tough to eat in during COVID

Oh yeah, Great Valu supermarket Tuesday Chicken cant be beat for price, but get there early

Edited by Jason B

On 8/16/2020 at 7:13 AM, BLilly said:

They are having a rough year. Closed due to covid, heat, and now the family matter....assuming they'll lose some more days this fall due to flooding from storms.

They've had a ton of mechanical problems too which is why they were closed last week for 1 day.

Hopefully the family matter ain't nothing serious and they are back up and running soon

22 mins ago, DerrickT said:

They've had a ton of mechanical problems too which is why they were closed last week for 1 day.

Hopefully the family matter ain't nothing serious and they are back up and running soon

We hope for the same. Very much looking forward to getting the Crabyfries there in 3 weeks.