FishNorthShore

Sharpening roughing gauge

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I believe I need my tools sharpened is there anyone here that could offer this for a set price? I’m not sure where else to post this but it would be greatly appreciated as I just bought my first set up used

I recently started turning things other than fishing lures......which I usually used a duplicator for........and discovered that it's kinda fun making other things, and along the way I've watched a lot of YT videos, and something that stood out is, if you are going to be a woodturner, you need to be able to sharpen your tools. Once a month isn't enough, some days you may need to sharpen 1 or 2 tools several times to keep a good edge, to get the results you want. And generally it's pretty easy, that spindle roughing gouge is sharpened to only one angle, you can set the rest on a bench grinder, roll the tool back and forth a couple of times, and you're done. Takes longer to set the rest than to sharpen the tool.

But,

you need a bench grinder to do it. I have a crappy bench grinder with 6" x 3/4" wheels, and it runs too fast. Ideally, after watching what other people are using, you want a low speed 8" grinder, to keep from burning the steel. My hi speed grinder works, but you really have to watch what you're doing, brown and blue steel doesn't hold an edge very well. I really need to upgrade my grinder, but for now it works

I realize this only slightly relates to the original topic, but, for what you might pay for someone to sharpen your set of tools, you might be able to buy a grinder instead. Good luck either way, and make sure you come back to post what you're turning.

And, welcome to the madness  :wee:

On 8/11/2020 at 8:58 PM, Ed White said:

I recently started turning things other than fishing lures......which I usually used a duplicator for........and discovered that it's kinda fun making other things, and along the way I've watched a lot of YT videos, and something that stood out is, if you are going to be a woodturner, you need to be able to sharpen your tools. Once a month isn't enough, some days you may need to sharpen 1 or 2 tools several times to keep a good edge, to get the results you want. And generally it's pretty easy, that spindle roughing gouge is sharpened to only one angle, you can set the rest on a bench grinder, roll the tool back and forth a couple of times, and you're done. Takes longer to set the rest than to sharpen the tool.

But,

you need a bench grinder to do it. I have a crappy bench grinder with 6" x 3/4" wheels, and it runs too fast. Ideally, after watching what other people are using, you want a low speed 8" grinder, to keep from burning the steel. My hi speed grinder works, but you really have to watch what you're doing, brown and blue steel doesn't hold an edge very well. I really need to upgrade my grinder, but for now it works

I realize this only slightly relates to the original topic, but, for what you might pay for someone to sharpen your set of tools, you might be able to buy a grinder instead. Good luck either way, and make sure you come back to post what you're turning.

And, welcome to the madness  :wee:

Thank you for this I’m going to make an effort to learn how to just sharpen them myself to make it easier for me, the lathe I’m working on has a screw on spur so I was spending some time getting used to the grab of it. I couldn’t really mallet it into the wood so I cut an X into the end which made it hold.