Midnightpass

Black Hole Suzuki S-1002 Or Edge FSS StR 1065-2

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I'm in SO California,  and do mostly light line, mobile surf fishing (With bait, but not bait-and-wait)... Our fish are smaller and closer in than our Northern or East coast brothers and sisters usually target.... My present rod is a St Croix Legend Elite 9'-6" 1/8-3/8 oz, 4-8# moderate rod that I mostly C-rig, with sand crabs, blood worms or ghost shrimp, with a Stradic ci4 3000 .... It works perfectly for me... BUT sometimes the fish are holding on the outside and the current/surf is stronger than normal... I was wanting to do the same kind of light line, mobile fishing with more weight and/or more casting distance... These rods sound like the perfect choice... I can't see me ever going over 1-1/2 to 2oz weight, if that high...Both rods have similar specs... The edge is a little lighter in weight and casting weight... Price is within $10... Edge is US made (Which, I really like), but seem to have delivery and customer  service problems (That, I don't like)... This would be paired with an older Stradic ci4 4000.... This is more than I really want to spend on an occasional use rod, but I really like the specs and the weight is nice for a 72 yr old.. Any thoughts or suggestions? Cheaper is always nice too, so other models and brands are ok.. Oh, I like the shorter butts of the steelhead/salmon, rods as opposed to "surf rods', but not short, like a boat rod or pier rod...

Thanks,

Butch

I have the Suzuki 10’ 1/2 to 2 oz.  it casts well throughout the weight band. It really likes 3/4 to 2 oz best.  1/2 oz seems a bit light IMO.  It’s definitely a well built rod, very light and seems strong.  I’ve watched Kil pull in way bigger fish than you might expect from this type of rod.  

The only thing I see is that the Edge rod is moderate in action which I don't like while the Suzuki 10' is moderate fast.  It has the longer handle that you don't like which was 1 reason I sold my Suzuki  10'.  I also have the 9'6" Suzuki which I'll probably use as a light bait-n-wait rod so the long butt won't bother me as much. 

I'm in NorCal and what I'm waiting for is the Dark Matter OB to come back in stock.  Seems like JandH sent a few of the Dark Matter OB demos to those NorCal Youtubers and those guys do my kind of fishing -- light salmon/steelhead rods for surf perch and some stripers(mostly small west coast stripers)

48 mins ago, raider73 said:

The only thing I see is that the Edge rod is moderate in action which I don't like while the Suzuki 10' is moderate fast.  It has the longer handle that you don't like which was 1 reason I sold my Suzuki  10'.  I also have the 9'6" Suzuki which I'll probably use as a light bait-n-wait rod so the long butt won't bother me as much. 

I'm in NorCal and what I'm waiting for is the Dark Matter OB to come back in stock.  Seems like JandH sent a few of the Dark Matter OB demos to those NorCal Youtubers and those guys do my kind of fishing -- light salmon/steelhead rods for surf perch and some stripers(mostly small west coast stripers)

I never looked at the Suzuki as having Long handle.  In fact I couldn’t imagine it with a shorter one.  

8 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I never looked at the Suzuki as having Long handle.  In fact I couldn’t imagine it with a shorter one.  

If you're use to fishing with Japanese Seabass rods or Salmon/Steelhead rods you'll think it's long hence the Dark Matter OB is a copy of the JDM Shadow Pangea seabass rod is 10' and has a 12" rear handle.  It all depends on what you're use to.  I've had MajorCraft Crosstage, Yamaga Blanks Range Sniper, Labrax AGS, Abu Crossfield, Shimano Clarus, Lamiglas SI and Infinity and every one of those rods is between 12-14" rear grips

Anyone know the butt length of the edge rod?.... The 3 steelhead rods I have are the St Croix with a 11" butt (My favorite), Clarus, at 14" , and a Phenix Trifecta at 13-1/2"... I have 2 big bait and weight rods at 22" and 25"... I'm thinking I want something in 11-14" range... I can't find much on the specs for the Dark Matter OB... Or the price and availability...  Is the J&H site down?.... Anyone?.... I really don't want to go much over $200

Thanks,

Butch

Suzuki 1002 is an excellent rod, biggest fish so far was a 15lb class jack that bent the hook at the pier, rod loads and throws nice with everything from 3/4-1.5 for me.

12 hours ago, Garshark572 said:

Maybe look at the Suzuki 8 ft rod

Kinda lookin'  for a 10'er or so, for the extra distance casting, and clearing the surf... My only concern with the Suzuki 10"er is the butt length.... Other than that, it sounds like about the perfect rod for my usage....

Butch

1 hour ago, reelfire said:

Love my 10 ft suzuki. I dont think the butt is long at all.

I’m with you.  Seems just right to me

4 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I’m with you.  Seems just right to me

I can see that, if your coming from a surf rod background.... But even though I have, and occasionally use, surf rods, most of my fishing is with steelhead/salmon rods... Have you guys used the steelhead/salmon rods?... How do you like them or compare them to the Suzuki rod?... I think you would get more casting "leverage" with the longer butt, and maybe better rod/reel balance, but the rest of the of the fishing experience would be like fishing with a shorter rod (The reel and hand placement being closer to the tip)... Man, why does this have to be so tough?:why:...

Butch

I don't think you need longer cast for salmon or steelhead. 

That is why the rods have shorter butt. 

I tested coho salmon with the prototype 9'6" Suzuki UL rod in Alaska.

The butt section is longer than traditional steelhead or salmon rods.

But i can cast far with comfort. 

If you want to cast from the shore, I think it is better to use a little longer butt section than traditional salmon/steelhead rods.

As you seen in the picture the 8'6" Prototype Suzuki UL rod have shorter butt for steelhead from a boat.

cohosalmonsuzukiUL.jpg

cohosalmonsusukiUL5.jpg

steelheadsuzukiUL2.jpg

11 mins ago, ksong said:

I don't think you need longer cast for salmon or steelhead. 

That is why the rods have shorter butt. 

I tested coho salmon with the prototype 9'6" Suzuki UL rod in Alaska.

The butt section is longer than traditional steelhead or salmon rods.

But i can cast far with comfort. 

If you want to cast from the shore, I think it is better to use a little longer butt section than traditional salmon/steelhead rods.

As you seen in the picture the 8'6" Prototype Suzuki UL rod have shorter butt for steelhead from a boat.

cohosalmonsuzukiUL.jpg

cohosalmonsusukiUL5.jpg

steelheadsuzukiUL2.jpg

Man, I want your job!... Beautiful fish and scenery... I appreciate your reply to my questions... I agree with your statements, but I'm so used to the shorter butts...