foxfai

More cape beach parking are restricted

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08/10/cape-cod-towns-restrict-beaches-to-only-residents-close-parking-lots-amid-coronavirus/

Cape Cod towns that are trying to make sure their beaches are not too crowded this summer are keeping out nonresidents and implementing new parking rules amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In Truro, for instance, the Head of the Meadow beach parking lot is closed to vehicles until late August.

“This will allow for safe physical distancing for visitors at both the seashore and town managed beaches,” reads the alert from the National Seashore Massachusetts. “Bicyclists and pedestrians may enter.”

In Mashpee, only town residents can access the community’s beaches as a result of overcrowding at John’s Pond and other town beaches.

“This beach access restriction is intended to advance the interests of the aforementioned Advisories and Guidances by preventing large gatherings at and overcrowding of the Town Beaches during the COVID-19 State of Emergency,” states the Board of Selectmen order. “All persons authorized to access said Beaches during this temporary restriction will be expected to comply with all recommended COVID-19 safety measures, including appropriate social-distancing and wearing of face masks when social-distancing is not possible, while on the Town Beaches.”

Falmouth earlier this summer reduced capacity at its beach municipal lots to 50% because of the virus. However, town officials have decided to now expand parking at the Mill Road lot on a trial basis because the Surf Drive beach has not been overcrowded, said Town Manager Julian Suso.

“We’re going to continue to monitor the conditions at the different beaches in town,” he said.

There has been no documented evidence of the coronavirus spreading at Falmouth beaches, Suso added. Eleven town lifeguards have tested positive for the virus, which was connected to a social gathering after work hours, he said.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Seems like going to the beach right now is not a good idea. I know it's a sacrifice but in the scheme of things, a small sacrifice to make.

Our town beach (freshwater pond) never opened at all this year. I traditionally spent every single Saturday there in the summer with my kids. 

Having it closed is inconvenient and sad, but we haven't missed cooling off outdoors for a single Saturday this year.

Instead of all trying to cram onto a crowded beach, now's the time to explore other options.

Edited by Milky

Remember the rules of Covid. Beach is bad. Protests and riots are good. 
What if there was a protest at the beach? Would that be OK?

Eventually most beaches in all coastal communities will go the residents only route in response to C19.  But keep in mind, after the pandemic goes away, however long that is,  opening up beaches to the general public may never happen.   General rule of life, once something gets closed, it's nearly impossible to reopen it.

8 mins ago, magpug said:

So. Why bother going to the cape. Nothing there but the beach. Shooting themselves in the foot. Won't need new bridges. 

Now you're talking. 

13 mins ago, magpug said:

So. Why bother going to the cape. Nothing there but the beach. Shooting themselves in the foot. Won't need new bridges. 

My thoughts exactly.............

38 mins ago, magpug said:

Because....RI means quarantine? As does Maine, at their end.

I rode my bike by a local cape beach at 6 this AM and there were 2 cars in line already

when I came back by at 830 (Lot opens at 9) there must have been 150 cars clogging the road and people yelling and screaming at each other all over the 50 spots at this beach
I thought to myself that doesn’t seem like a relaxing “day at the beach” to me:banghd:

29 mins ago, Andrew B said:

I rode my bike by a local cape beach at 6 this AM and there were 2 cars in line already

when I came back by at 830 (Lot opens at 9) there must have been 150 cars clogging the road and people yelling and screaming at each other all over the 50 spots at this beach
I thought to myself that doesn’t seem like a relaxing “day at the beach” to me:banghd:

what beach, obviously well known so no spot burn

46 mins ago, b-ware said:

Source of that info please................

It's no secret that along the 35 mile river there were numerous mills, taverns and farms that dumped contaminated waste products into that river system.