Risks that are acceptable and those that are not

Rate this topic

saltydawg

This is just a question for discussion. 

A lot of data is coming in about changes in student behaviors and outcomes in the age of Covid.

Some physicians are pointing out how many student lives were saved from flu deaths and vehicle accidents because of distance learning (and they way outpaced the number of student lives saved from Covid). And of course, as mentioned in another thread, there have been no school shootings since Covid landed on our shores. So what risks are acceptable in today’s age? Obviously these are:

influenza deaths

vehicle accident deaths

school shooting deaths

What others will we put up with and which ones will we not stomach?

-

3 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

vehicle accident deaths are something get that addressed a LOT.

age for getting a license,

seat belt laws,

cell phone laws,

speed limits,

all laws and regulations designed to create responsible behavior to lower mortality/injury

Same can be said if firearms.

However, I am talking about these risks in relation to school. Vehicle deaths , influenza deaths, and school shootings deaths as a result of students going to and gathering in schools. 

-

23 mins ago, saltydawg said:

This is just a question for discussion. 

A lot of data is coming in about changes in student behaviors and outcomes in the age of Covid.

Some physicians are pointing out how many student lives were saved from flu deaths and vehicle accidents because of distance learning (and they way outpaced the number of student lives saved from Covid). And of course, as mentioned in another thread, there have been no school shootings since Covid landed on our shores. So what risks are acceptable in today’s age? Obviously these are:

influenza deaths

vehicle accident deaths

school shooting deaths

What others will we put up with and which ones will we not stomach?

Gang banger inner city deaths

School shootings are obviously not acceptable, but as a risk for kids going back to school?  Not so much.  School districts should have been addressing that long before Covid.

Once pandemic risks are minimized, IMO send them back.  The risks associated with not learning, maturing and flourishing in the school envorionment far outweight the risks of vehicle accidents and shootings.  If we keep them home indefinatly, we will raise a generation of social misfits.

9 mins ago, saltydawg said:

Same can be said if firearms.

However, I am talking about these risks in relation to school. Vehicle deaths , influenza deaths, and school shootings deaths as a result of students going to and gathering in schools. 

LOL

but those regulations and laws impact the deaths in schools.

you are really twisting logic in this thread, which is a habit of your's.

maybe we should just discuss the realities of opening schools during a pandemic, and discuss that,

and avoid the false equivolences,

(but I doubt you can)

so let's address how schools address some risk factors ON school grounds.

there has been a LOT of focus on making Schools safer from shooters (since the 2a side won't give an inch on any issue)

there is enhanced security to get in the building,

there are resource officers walking the halls,

bullet proof glass, reinforced doors,

drills, training and protocols.

all designed to meet the risk.

I assume we will need to tailor our response to Covid in similar fashion.

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

2 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

LOL

but those regulations and laws impact the deaths in schools.

you are really twisting logic in this thread, which is a habit of your's.

maybe we should just discuss the realities of opening schools during a pandemic, and discuss that,

and avoid the false equivolences,

(but I doubt you can)

so let's address how schools address some risk factors ON school grounds.

there has been a LOT of focus on making Schools safer from shooters (since the 2a side won't give an inch on any issue)

there is enhanced security to get in the building,

there are resource officers walking the halls,

bullet proof glass, reinforced doors,

drills, training and protocols.

all designed to meet the risk.

I assume we will need to tailor our response to Covid in similar fashion.

Start your own thread

-

Just now, saltydawg said:

Sports injuries are obviously another acceptable risk in schools. How has traffic in sports medicine clinics in small towns changed since Covid?

Salty,

maybe to safely OPEN schools during a pandemic,

the schools need to address the pandemic as they have addressed the other issues you mentioned which pose safety risks to students.

sports are heavily regulated in order to make it as safe as possible for students.......

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

I’m not sure it’s unreasonable. 

It just got me looking at data and realizing that we have historically sent our kids out to school every day where they might not return home and we accept that. 

I have always advocated for risk mitigation (For example, for school firearm death risk, I have worked to push for more school resource officers, better physical deterrents, better teacher training, better technology). But we realize that our kids may die at school on any given day. Yet we send them anyway. 

-