flyangler

POLL: HALF OF DEMS DON'T BELIEVE BIDEN WILL SERVE 4 YEARS - VOTE IMPACT?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So what does this tell us about this race when half of Dems and 60% of likely voters polled don't believe Biden will finish his first term?

I for one, as I have said, believe this will place unusually high scrutiny on the VP choice and, for the first time, who that person is might affect the ultimate outcome in November. 

Pretty simple, in every past election, exit and other polls show the VP has nearly nothing to do with voters' decisions. In the mind of most voters, the possibility of illness or assassination or impeachment are so remote that they never consider the VP choices when voting. People like the simple, and do not want to be burdened with second level considerations and "what ifs?"

All that changes with Biden and, for many voters, they are going to have to weigh the VP as a potential president. Not someone being "groomed" to run in four or eight years, someone who could REALLY take over in a matter of months. For reals. 

Is it any wonder Chris Dodd is having such a difficult time with this process?

BTW, this poll flies in the face of our own PGers who tell us Biden's longevity is not a campaign issue. 

WashEx:

Short timer: Half of Democrats don’t think Biden will serve all four years

A majority of voters, including half of Democrats, do not think that 77-year-old Democrat Joe Biden will serve all four years as president, putting added pressure on who he plans to choose as vice president, and potential successor, according to a new survey.

According to the latest Rasmussen Reports poll, 59% of likely voters believe Biden’s vice president will take over in his first term if he's elected in November.

And that includes 49% of Democrats, said the survey, backing up others that have found many in the party don’t care who is elected as long as it’s not President Trump.

“Most voters think it’s likely that person will be president within the next four years if Biden is elected in November,” said the survey analysis.

Just over half of voters continue to say they’re likely to vote against Trump this fall, and a sizable majority of those voters don’t seem to care who runs against him, said Rasmussen.

The survey did not indicate or ask likely voters what they expect to happen that would push a President Biden from office, elevating his vice presidential pick. There have been other surveys, however, suggesting that some voters believe the former vice president has cognitive issues.

Questions about Biden have put a special focus on his pick for a running mate, which he has limited to women only. Black leaders are pressuring Biden to pick an African American woman.

Edited by flyangler

Of that 59% how many are comfortable voting for a man they believe can't finish his term? 

Just now, J said:

Of that 59% how many are comfortable voting for a man they believe can't finish his term? 

J, once again with the most observant of comments - Why is it that 49%/59% don't think Biden can serve four years?

Not physical because his doctors have given him a good physical report. He's disease free, not overweight, etc. 

So if it is not that, then what could prematurely end his service?

IT IS THE MENTAL

To your point, if they know he cannot do four years because of cognitive decline, how can they vote for his in the first place if he is already in observable decline?

Again, the VP choice will be highly scrutinized. 

11 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Many Democrats can't see past their Trump must go mentality. 

VP is irrelevant to the goal of removing Trump.

But the "many democrats" who cannot get passed their TDS are not the important voters, particularly those in solidly blue states. 

It is the independent voter and moderate Democrats in the six to eight key states who matter, the literal swing voters. 

1 hour ago, J said:

I don't believe Trump will be able to physically serve another 4 years,

he is in a steep physical and mental decline......

we just saw biden ride a bike.....

Trump is struggling to walk.

Count me in with the Biden won't make it 4 years, let alone 8.

I give him between 4 weeks, and 4 months in office before he steps down.

1 min ago, dena said:

I didn't realize this thread was another Trump thread, my bad.

give it a moment thought.

the election will be between Biden and Trump.

so any factor will be applied to both men.... 

I can't vote for Biden because I think he won't survive 4 years,

is ONLY valid if you think Trump can.

otherwise it's a push.

OR

if like me you think Biden is in better shape than Trump it's a complete non issue.... for Biden.

I think in a thread about Biden, comments should relate to his fitness for office.

Trump's fitness would make another good thread, all about Trump.

1 hour ago, Steve_in_PA said:

The real question is if elected is he able to understand the oath of office in Jan 2021?  From his rate of deterioration I say not.

What happens when he is supposed to take the oath of office and instead starts talking about his hairy legs? If he cannot take the oath is he still President?