BigRich

Surf Rod Opinion

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am looking to purchase a new surf rod to throw SP minnows and I have settled on the St. Croix Mojo Surf, but I am looking for some guidance on what size. I like the 11' MH to clear the waves but it is rated for 3-8oz lures and the SP are about 1 1/9 oz and 1 5/8 oz. I am wondering if anyone has had experience throwing these on the 11' MH Mojo and how it impacted casting distance and performance being so far out of weight rating.

I also am entertaining the 10'-6" Med. Mojo that throws 3/4 - 4oz lures, but it is only medium power and I am not sure if that is enough for tying into a good sized striper. Does anyone have experience fighting a striper on that rod and how it performed?

My main goal is obviously to be able to get past the surf so distance is a big must, but I also don't want to be underpowered when fighting a fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have used the 10’ 6” mojo that’s rated 2-6. It is very stiff. I can imagine the 11’ 3-8 is even more stiff. The 10’6” 3/4-4 will be more what you are looking for. I have a 9ft 1-4 mojo that is surprisingly stiff so just be careful. 

I would recommend a tsunami airwave elite over the mojo. They make a 10’ 6” 1-3.5 and an 11’ 1-4. They are softer and more moderate for casting light stuff but still have a lot of power. 

10 hours ago, BigRich said:

Hey all,

I am looking to purchase a new surf rod to throw SP minnows and I have settled on the St. Croix Mojo Surf, but I am looking for some guidance on what size. I like the 11' MH to clear the waves but it is rated for 3-8oz lures and the SP are about 1 1/9 oz and 1 5/8 oz. I am wondering if anyone has had experience throwing these on the 11' MH Mojo and how it impacted casting distance and performance being so far out of weight rating.

I also am entertaining the 10'-6" Med. Mojo that throws 3/4 - 4oz lures, but it is only medium power and I am not sure if that is enough for tying into a good sized striper. Does anyone have experience fighting a striper on that rod and how it performed?

My main goal is obviously to be able to get past the surf so distance is a big must, but I also don't want to be underpowered when fighting a fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have the 10-6 Mojo with both tops(3/4-4, 2-6) which I use for exactly that. I haven't felt underpowered with the MMF at all. 

9 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

I have used the 10’ 6” mojo that’s rated 2-6. It is very stiff. I can imagine the 11’ 3-8 is even more stiff. The 10’6” 3/4-4 will be more what you are looking for. I have a 9ft 1-4 mojo that is surprisingly stiff so just be careful. 

I would recommend a tsunami airwave elite over the mojo. They make a 10’ 6” 1-3.5 and an 11’ 1-4. They are softer and more moderate for casting light stuff but still have a lot of power. 

If you need 2pc, that 10.5’ mojo is the one you want.  It’s a good stick. It will toss a dressed 1/2 Oz bucktail and also throw a larger tin or plug.  Good luck. 

26 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I have the 10-6 Mojo with both tops(3/4-4, 2-6) which I use for exactly that. I haven't felt underpowered with the MMF at all. 

Another versatile option. 

Know a guy who has the mojo 9’ 3/4-4 and has landed some pretty decent sized stripers on it. Uses it for plugs and even worms with 4oz. Launched pretty well with 30lb braid.

Unless you are throwing bait plus 8 or very large plugs in heavy current like the canal id stick to rods rated 3/4 or 1 on the low end.

13 hours ago, BigRich said:

Hey all,

It would be very helpful if you tell us where you are based out of and what you type of structure you fish. Here in Jersey most people don't need rods much longer than 9'5"-10' and occasionally need to throw some very light lures off the surf  

I am in Pacifica, CA (SF Peninsula). Fishing sandy beaches with some small scattered rock structure here and there. Beach pitch is moderate with wave break anywhere from 50'-70' from beach.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have you considered the Daiwa Coastal SP Surf rods 10ft 6in is rated 1-4oz, and Daiwa claims to have designed them specifically for the SP minnow.  Also significantly lower priced than the Mojo.

Edited by FlatWing