foxfai

Does flourocarbon leader/line curls up after knots?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I dug up some old flourocarbon line / leader from the basement and remember why I stop using it. 

After tying a knot to it, the portion that got pressured curls up a bit unlike other mono that I have. 

Does all flourocarbon do this.

Something is odd here, I use flouro and mono equally, various brands, and don't have that problem more with one than the other.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Same thing happened to me using 30 lb Seaguar. I moistened the knots with spit, which I’ve always done, and it always curled up in the area adjacent to the knot. I used up the spool I had, then went back the pink Ande I’ve been using for 40 years. I only used the flouro for one season, and am certainly no authority. In my experience bass aren’t very line shy and I didn’t feel the flouro gave me any advantage anyway. Maybe it was the knots I was using, or some other factor related to me. Maybe my spit isn’t slick enough; I think it had to do with heat when cinching up the knots. Not knocking the stuff, just didn’t have a great experience using it.

Edited by wrboz

42 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

Try a Palomar knot.  Pull the tag end to tighten and don't stress the main line.

Can also try a San Diego knot.

I do not recommend Palomar knots on Flouro line

I pull the tag end to cinch my Palomars. At least with this knot, I've found that only the line that runs through the knot under pressure on the cinch, curls. In this case, it's the tag end that is moving under pressure so it curls, but that gets clipped short anyway so nbd. The running leader line stays straight. 

I have used flouro and for what I do I am not sure it’s always necessary. I think for Albee’s, Bonito and such it is called for. For Blues and Stripers and Fluke in the Jersey surf I am fairly sure that using Flouro is pissing money away. I have caught countless fish with Andy clear. Really clean water and some sharp eyed fish it makes a difference for most it doesn’t. Flouro has a higher specific gravity than mono and will sink flies that you might want to float. Conversely it could help you to get a fly deeper. You can get filler spools for lighter Flouro at near bargain prices. It is a tool. You can use a wrench for a hammer but  usually using a hammer for a wrench doesn’t work.