bkupmstr

Fluke rig breaking at knot

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

If the line is a little bit curly either or just one side of the dropper that is because of the friction/heat of cinching it down.  If you see that curliness it will break.  Give it a good slobbering and it won't have this issue.

sam

On August 11, 2020 at 1:04 PM, b4loran said:

Not much knot strength with a dropper. I would use heavier line. If not enough wraps and not enough lube to slide you are probably under 40%. On my chicken rigs I use 80#  Berkley big game. Stiff and keeps line from wrapping on itself.

Never had a problem.

He is using 20# he said. Even at half that unless he is slamming doormats every time that know works if its tied correctly

4 hours ago, StripersBR said:

He is using 20# he said. Even at half that unless he is slamming doormats every time that know works if its tied correctly

I use the knot all the time. 20# that got heated up and not enough wraps it will fail. Why one would use 20# for a top and bottom rig puzzles me.

1 hour ago, b4loran said:

I use the knot all the time. 20# that got heated up and not enough wraps it will fail. Why one would use 20# for a top and bottom rig puzzles me.

Not sure what you mean by a top and bottom rig. It’s a dropper loop  rig with a swivel about 12” above and a cannon ball sinker 10” down, then a snelled hook about 12” down from that, all 20# mono

2 hours ago, b4loran said:

I use 15 & 20# fluoro for fluking and havent had any issues landing any fish. Never had the line or knot break. 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:07 PM, bkupmstr said:

I have not been lubricant in it

That's problem #1. Problem 2 is the 20lb line. Use 30 or 40

I think you are fine with 20lb, I caught a 3 1/2 or 4 lb fluke yesterday, 20 leader and 10lb braid in fifty feet of water, Not to mention big skates and the like. The heavier the leader the less action.

Edited by squidder 329

On 8/11/2020 at 10:16 AM, bkupmstr said:

I’m having an issue lately with rigs that I’ve pre-tied breaking off when i set the hook

i pre tie and store fluke hi-lo rigs and then use them when needed,

i think i May have tied them with two different mono Ande and trilene 

what happened is that fish bites, i set the hook aggressively and the line breaks right at the dropper loop knot

could pulling the knot too tight be the issue?

thanks

On 8/13/2020 at 4:12 PM, bkupmstr said:

Not sure what you mean by a top and bottom rig. It’s a dropper loop  rig with a swivel about 12” above and a cannon ball sinker 10” down, then a snelled hook about 12” down from that, all 20# mono

Chicken rig, bottom rig,hi-lo, top and bottom rig, what is the difference? Do you have a hook below the sinker and one above? Sounds different than the hi-lo rig.