bkupmstr

Fluke rig breaking at knot

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I’m having an issue lately with rigs that I’ve pre-tied breaking off when i set the hook

i pre tie and store fluke hi-lo rigs and then use them when needed,

i think i May have tied them with two different mono Ande and trilene 

what happened is that fish bites, i set the hook aggressively and the line breaks right at the dropper loop knot

could pulling the knot too tight be the issue?

thanks

How old is the mono? was it stored in heat or sunlight ? After tying attach the line to something solid and test it. 

What pound test?  It will almost always break at the dropper loop first anyway as it’s an inherently weak knot but it shouldn’t be breaking by setting the hook. 

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

I agree there might be issue with the line. Mono doesn't just break. 

How many lb of mono? 

It’s 20 pound mono, could be old but not more than 3-4 years and stored indoors in a box not in direct sunlight 

1 hour ago, bkupmstr said:

I’m having an issue lately with rigs that I’ve pre-tied breaking off when i set the hook

i pre tie and store fluke hi-lo rigs and then use them when needed,

i think i May have tied them with two different mono Ande and trilene 

what happened is that fish bites, i set the hook aggressively and the line breaks right at the dropper loop knot

could pulling the knot too tight be the issue?

thanks

Not much knot strength with a dropper. I would use heavier line. If not enough wraps and not enough lube to slide you are probably under 40%. On my chicken rigs I use 80#  Berkley big game. Stiff and keeps line from wrapping on itself.

Never had a problem.

I’ve been tying with 30 lb mono with 5 twists. Wet it good with saliva and cinch it slowly. 

1 hour ago, cartopper said:

How many wraps are you using on the dropper?

1 hour ago, Bigfootgrey said:

I’ve been tying with 30 lb mono with 5 twists. Wet it good with saliva and cinch it slowly. 

5-6 on 30 good . . . I would go 8 wraps with 20 and make sure they are even on each side.  Sometimes when you're in a hurry and have, let's say, 6 turns on one side and 4 on the other the knot will most likely break.

Stop tying dropper loops.  They are a guaranteed weak point ready to fail.  I started a thread a while back about what knot holds up best on a teaser rig.  From my own tests the conventional dropper loop always failed at less than half the line rated strength.  

6 hours ago, Water Dog said:

Are you licking / lubricating the knot before you cinch it down?

^^^

I am going with this.  

You dont need 40lb mono leader, and it will last more than a season if its not baking and stored in uv/sun.  I've been milking a spool of 17lb fluoro and one of 14lb mono for eons now.  

Lube the up good.  Saliva works fine.  Never pull them dry.  

Never had a problem with thirty pound leader or stronger,I always discard the leader after an outing.The amount of weight your throwing will also play havoc with a leader..a different type of knot may help