Dwhite1605

Older surf rod

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I found an older surf rod that I like for sale and it’s about 15 years old from st Croix. After a certain age do they start to lose strength or weaken. The rod looks in good shape and no obvious signs or f damage and the price is ok. Anything I should look for?

Just check the reel seat make sure it's tight, look for any cracks in the rod.. 

What model? It may have a lifetime warranty on it depending on model...

I still occasionally fish rods built in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Most of my offshore stuff dates from the late '80s and early '90s, when I first built the rods, and they're still going strong after being beat up by uncountable numbers of sharks and tuna, and the occasional marlin.

15 years is not old.

A well built rod can last a life time, especially if you're willing to make minor repairs. Inspect the guides, make sure the reel seat and grips aren't loose, and buy away if you like it.

Some of my go to's remember Kennedy in the White House, and some of my Penn 49's Truman....all still going strong, putting fish in the boat just don't be stingy with the fresh water rinse and lube.

Consider this: in June, while cleaning out the rods in the closet, I got rid of an old brown fiberglass 12’ two piece St. Croix Surf Rod.  The only thing wrong with it was the wrappings began to come off and I was constantly covering them in clear coat nail polish.  I fished this rod until 2019. I believe the rod was from the 1960s. 

That St Croix is still likely in use, since it was gone from the road side within hours. 

I still fish my 10ft Ben Doerr Elite blank, which started life as a COF build (by me) and was later rebuilt to a NGC conventional.  I also still fish my 9ft 3in Ben Doerr Elite factory spinner, and 2 7ft Ben Doerr factory spinners, all of which were redone as original (pre-K guide) NGC layouts with shrink wrap handles.  I think those blanks were a lot tougher that todays carbon fiber blanks, although the carbon fiber blanks tend to cast further for the same load.

Older glass blanks, like older glass boats, generally were fabricated with more glass until the laminate engineers learned what they could get away with.  Lighter can be nice for the rods, not so much in a boat when the weather turns on you.  

I believe things have their breaking point.  Eventually, stuff needs to be replaced.  A lifetime of service is contingent on use.  If I’m going in the surf twice a month, my stuff will last longer than the guy rock hopping 6 days a week.  If something is not a good product, I think it fails early on.  Tried and true usually keeps going. I have old Ticas, Lamis, and St Croixs that I keep fishing. Grips and guides have been replaced, but the rods held up over the years.  Use them, but don’t abuse them. Wash and wax them. They can last. 

I have a old Ben Doer rod which still sees frequent use after owning it for more than 20 years.

15 years is not old for a fishing rod which has been well cared for.

I’m curious to know which model rod you found for sale, whether it’s new or used and what the asking price is.