missingtackle

Shore access for fluke around Point of Pines?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all, I've done a lot of freshwater fishing, but am just getting into the salt lately. I'm hoping to catch some fluke, but I'm unfortunately shore bound. Hopefully I will get a kayak eventually, but that's the situation for now. 

I went out last week to a spot that seemed really promising (area), but it involved going up an active train line to a bridge for longer than felt like a good idea. 1) Is that actually not as dangerous as it seems? 2) can anyone point me to a general area where I might have a chance at some fluke? * 3) or should I refocus to something else for the moment and wait for the water to cool off for the blackbacks again?

Edited by TimS
Overly specific stuff removed by author’s request

The train track is fine.................................until a train is coming and you have to jump!  You think fluke are flat?  Wait'll the coroner sees you after the train hits you!

There are lots of other, more safe, places to fish, and other species to target.

Just sayin'.............Be Safe!

3 mins ago, jayp195 said:

The train track is fine.................................until a train is coming and you have to jump!  You think fluke are flat?  Wait'll the coroner sees you after the train hits you!

There are lots of other, more safe, places to fish, and other species to target.

Just sayin'.............Be Safe!

Yeah, I'm looking to avoid flattening and keep eyes on both sides of my face if possible. 

It is absolutely amazing how quietly and quickly passenger trains sneak up on you.  I've been too close several times.

There's a pier on the Lynn side of the Lynnway right across from the PoP.  Haven't been there in years, but it's there.  My last trip there maybe 10yrs ago, taking steps down to the end of the pier, it felt pretty flimsy and shaky though, so be careful.  Hopefully they fixed it, or at least reinforced it.

1 min ago, ibe333333 said:

There's a pier on the Lynn side of the Lynnway right across from the PoP.  Haven't been there in years, but it's there.  My last trip there maybe 10yrs ago, taking steps down to the end of the pier, it felt pretty flimsy and shaky though, so be careful.  Hopefully they fixed it, or at least reinforced it.

Yeah, I took a walk down that way as well. The pier is blocked off at the entrance, but I saw a DCR article that they were supposedly working on it this year--no evidence that it has happened though. Hopefully they get it up and running, looks pretty ideal.

There have been fishermen accidentally killed by trains. One last year in Pa. I think it's happened in Ct too.

Technically train tracks are No Trespassing. Enforcement is spotty but once and awhile they crack down, especially after an accident. 

9 mins ago, Milky said:

There have been fishermen accidentally killed by trains. One last year in Pa. I think it's happened in Ct too.

Technically train tracks are No Trespassing. Enforcement is spotty but once and awhile they crack down, especially after an accident. 

Thanks, I'll keep looking elsewhere. I definitely don't want to be the reason for a crackdown

19 mins ago, ibe333333 said:

Back in Aug 2019, a 55 year old guy fell through the planks on that bridge and into the water.  Fortunately, he was rescued and was not harmed.

Immediately after that, they roped off access to that bridge.  Since it was less than a year ago, I'm guessing nothing has changed.

10 mins ago, Joe G said:

Back in Aug 2019, a 55 year old guy fell through the planks on that bridge and into the water.  Fortunately, he was rescued and was not harmed.

Immediately after that, they roped off access to that bridge.  Since it was less than a year ago, I'm guessing nothing has changed.

Good to know. It looked pretty janky from the shore. 

FYI......recently, within the past month, Boston radio news reported that someone either fell, or jumped off the railroad tracks because of an on coming train, into the water.  

Didn't get the location, but I immediately thought of the above mentioned tracks.

Saw this guy get rescued. Rough shape. Looked like he was on something.

POP is such an interesting place. It can be actually pretty tough to fish. When the waters clear of weeds it can be AWESOME 

On 8/22/2020 at 9:04 AM, Joe G said:

FYI......recently, within the past month, Boston radio news reported that someone either fell, or jumped off the railroad tracks because of an on coming train, into the water.  

Didn't get the location, but I immediately thought of the above mentioned tracks.

Oh man, I hope they were alright.