Fadetoblack188

Ocean Fluke Buctail rod

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Whats up guys i am trying to find a rod to pair with my tranx 300.  Using the rod for ocean fluking, dragging weight and mostly bouncing bucktails around the 6oz range.  I would like something light in the hands to hold.  I am over bouncing bucktails all day with my heavy conventional reel set ups. 

What do you guys recommend?  i am trying to stay under 140 bucks for the rod. ( i own a trevela already )

Edited by Fadetoblack188

Posted (edited) · Report post

What's wrong with the Trevela? I fish a Tsunami slow pitch with my Lexa. I have them all but now only fish the heaviest one most of the time.

Hate fishing bucktails 6oz plus.

Edited by b4loran

Agree. I don't like heavy bucktails. Kinda defeats the purpose. They are clunky and require a very stiff tip to work them. Choosing a rod for that at $150 will point you to a heavy Tsunami or Nexus. Those will handle the 6 but will overpower the fish 99 times outta 100. Boring fish fights!

When 6 oz is needed I'd rather use a sinker on a slider with a trailing gulp and a teaser gulp. Then I'm using more of a sweep/stop/jump motion to work the gulp instead of a bounce motion to work a bucktail.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Agree. I don't like heavy bucktails. Kinda defeats the purpose. They are clunky and require a very stiff tip to work them. Choosing a rod for that at $150 will point you to a heavy Tsunami or Nexus. Those will handle the 6 but will overpower the fish 99 times outta 100. Boring fish fights!

When 6 oz is needed I'd rather use a sinker on a slider with a trailing gulp and a teaser gulp. Then I'm using more of a sweep/stop/jump motion to work the gulp instead of a bounce motion to work a bucktail.

Me too, except my cut off for sinker is 4 oz, mainly because I don’t have a custom rod that would make jigging/bouncing a bigger bucktail comfortable over a long day or fishing. 

to the OP, the Trevala is a good rod. Stay with it until you KNOW which rod will work for you. 

46 mins ago, FisherMan120 said:

Heavy JW Nexus either 7 or 7’6. 6 oz is perfect and 4 bounces well. 

+1 On this rod.  And, right at your price point.

10 hours ago, hookmeup said:

Me too, except my cut off for sinker is 4 oz, mainly because I don’t have a custom rod that would make jigging/bouncing a bigger bucktail comfortable over a long day or fishing. 

to the OP, the Trevala is a good rod. Stay with it until you KNOW which rod will work for you. 

This is what I did, i

moved the reel off the trevala onto another rod I had laying around and I am going to put the Tranx on the trevala. 

thanks 

On 8/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, Fadetoblack188 said:

This is what I did, i

moved the reel off the trevala onto another rod I had laying around and I am going to put the Tranx on the trevala. 

thanks 

Which trevala do you have?  I have the 6’6” mh and if I remember right, 6 oz. was right about the sweet spot for it.  

6 mins ago, autonomos said:

Which trevala do you have?  I have the 6’6” mh and if I remember right, 6 oz. was right about the sweet spot for it.  

Yep I have 6’6 medium heavy. 

57 mins ago, Fadetoblack188 said:

Yep I have 6’6 medium heavy. 

Yea that should do it then. If you end up still looking for another rod anyway, I’ll second the tsunami slow pitch and the nexus. I have both.