jettyjockey18

Handgun rec for da wife...

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

the short story is da wife has decided to get her LTC and we're going to start looking for a handgun for her... complete noob, she held a full size 9mm at the LTC course last week and it's too big for her... looking for a rec for a smaller weapon... easy, simple, safe and reliable... preferably 9mm unless a different caliber is a no brainer... I'll have her handle the weapon before purchase to make sure it fits... and it has to be a Mass gun... thanks for the help... 

JJ

S&W shield EZ in 9mm.... I am sure an area shop would have one for her to hold and work the slide. If not I know a shop in Northbridge that has one in stock.

For someone just starting out it's hard to beat a small revolver like the S&W J frame for simplicity of operation; mine gets carried often. 

I'm an old fart with weakened hands, what I carry and find easy to rack the slide is a Sig P365. It's a 10 shot 9mm that is small enough to carry in a pocket, which I do, or carry in a purse. All the other guns others have mentioned are also good choices. The best choice for your wife is the one that feels best in her hand and she wants.

You need to take her to a shop and see how different models fit her hand.  Challenging in this day and age.  But the only way to get what is right for her.

1 hour ago, Steve_in_PA said:

You need to take her to a shop and see how different models fit her hand.  Challenging in this day and age.  But the only way to get what is right for her.

agreed... I'm liking all the suggestions so far but at the end of the day, she'll need to weigh in... 

1 hour ago, jettyjockey18 said:

agreed... I'm liking all the suggestions so far but at the end of the day, she'll need to weigh in... 

On the bright side there are more different models to choose from than ever before.

9mm might be too snappy for her in a sub compact frame.

If its for range time nothing wrong with a .22 lr. Pistol.

Go to your range and try as many different guns in .22, .380, 9mm and .38spl.

If she has difficulty racking the slide on an auto, try a revolver.