outtasight

Epoxying Battery Terminals??

21 posts in this topic

Doing a re-wire and battery swap on my Hobie. I've been trying to find info on how to get my ff battery terminals waterproofed but haven't found anything I like yet. I seen a few pre-rigged batteries that had epoxied terminals, anyone know how this is done? or Know of another method I can use to seal the terminals up? I use the Hobie cradle so it's exposed to whatever water is in my hull.

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

Hot glue gun . Then its removeable. 

I was considering shrink wrap and epoxy, looking for more of a permanent solution.

Edited by outtasight
grammer

hot glue works great to keep the terminal ends attached and clean.  if you want to do it right once, build a small waterproof battery box and run a 2 pin sae quick disconnect through a gland.  keep your extra fuses and dielectric grease in the box.  your battery charger probably uses the same 2 pin end to charge you wont really ever even need to open the box except to replace the battery.

53 mins ago, gobigblue said:

hot glue works great to keep the terminal ends attached and clean.  if you want to do it right once, build a small waterproof battery box and run a 2 pin sae quick disconnect through a gland.  keep your extra fuses and dielectric grease in the box.  your battery charger probably uses the same 2 pin end to charge you wont really ever even need to open the box except to replace the battery.

This is how I do it except I used a SAE bulkhead connector instead of a gland. Works great. I used the $13 knock off pelican case from Harbor Freight.

Hot glue will work for a season or 2 but is not a permanent solution ... but I suppose that’s the life span of an SLA anyway so as you were :th:

I just spade connectors w/ occasional dielectric grease and steel wool cleanup. Take the battery out after each use. 5 years, no problems.

1 hour ago, Africaster said:

Hot glue will work for a season or 2 but is not a permanent solution ... but I suppose that’s the life span of an SLA anyway so as you were :th:

My hobie battery has lasted somewhere around 6yrs and I wasn't easy on it. Still going, gave to a friend. I'm gonna give the epoxy a go. Will post up my results when everything is put together. 

i solder wires to terminals then hot glue, i run the wires into a locking Tupperware which houses the connecters, battery and fuse. 

To each his own, but this seems like overkill.  The spade terminals are robust and easy to clean if they get corroded.  A bit of dielectric grease and you should never have an issue.

I have to believe hot glue is just a "feel good" thing.  I've used hot glue in a lot of application, and it does not stick well to smooth things like metal.  Sure you can cover the whole thing in a bunch of glue, but if you lose the actual adhesive interface between the glue and the metal, water WILL seep in there defeating any corrosion protection you hope to achieve.

Epoxy/potting compounds work because they can maintain that adhesion interface.  If you really want to do this, use epoxy and make sure all surfaces are solvent cleaned before applying.

I agree probably a bit overkill but I like tinkering and the piece of mind knowing I won't have to worry about that connection EVER is nice. If all works out well I'll have a Hobie quality battery for half price.

Batteries have a limited life 6 years dang.

Epoxy is permanent, They are tab connectors, what about  sliding a piece of  heat shrink tube over it.