ASrod

What is the most you pay....

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

What is the most you’re willing to pay for a plug for stripers? Whether it be custom wood or the Walmart special?

Personally, I see no point in spending any more than $40 and even then we’re talking something extremely specific to match a specific profile in one singular kind of conditions, and even then that’s a ton.

How about you guys?

Right now I can't afford a pack of hooks.

Not a "big deal", since I can't go hunt fish anyway, until Gov. Brad L. rescinds his (just extended --- again) lockdown on Assisted Living facilities.

I can go outside (and shoot my slingshots and crossbow), but if I leave the property (except to go to the doctor or the daRn vampires, for "blood work") I'd get quarantined.

The cute (and at 20 something are way too young for me) staffettes would have to put on a Haz-Mat suit if they came to with-in 20 feet of me (that would totally ruin the view ... I can't touch, but I can look), I wouldn't be able to leave my room .... Nope. Being quarantined ain't worth the hassle.

I just hope Gov. Brad L. lifts his daRn lockdown during my "lifetime" ... 

If he does (or maybe it'll be one of his successors) I'll just have to use what I have.

I would really have to want a plug to even pay 20. I bought a 704 and a garcia 9 ft. rod for about 40 bucks in 1965 at the old Elmwood Sports Shop. Still have them in great shape.

$35. But thats like one and done. I have so much tackle that I'm not 'restocking every season. Its usually something random or super specific I'm looking for. Will I crybwhen that $35 glider gets wedged in a rock I couldn't see? Absolutely.

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

$35. But thats like one and done. I have so much tackle that I'm not 'restocking every season. Its usually something random or super specific I'm looking for. Will I crybwhen that $35 glider gets wedged in a rock I couldn't see? Absolutely.

I have one of those - purchased two seasons ago.  Still waiting for bass number 1.   I don’t regret the purchase as I’m confident it will eventually  have its day.  Meanwhile  my 15 dollar plastic versions are taking bass fairly regularly.  

9 hours ago, ASrod said:

What is the most you’re willing to pay for a plug for stripers? Whether it be custom wood or the Walmart special?

Personally, I see no point in spending any more than $40 and even then we’re talking something extremely specific to match a specific profile in one singular kind of conditions, and even then that’s a ton.

How about you guys?

What can that specific plug do, in that specific situation,  that a $20 or less plug cant?  

I have not found that pricey plugs catch fish better than those in teh $10-$20 range.  

.. they do catch fishermen though, and if you like gear and plugs, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that being part of the hobby.  

I can’t bring myself to spent the kind of money, on plugs, that I read about some guys spending.

$20 for a lure is about the limit for me and for that it better be something that’s well made and that I expect will give me many seasons of use.
I always considered plugs/lures to be consumables but I am still upset whenever I lose one. 
I don’t think I would handle losing a $50 handmade masterpiece very well.

I've spent 60$ on black talon and when I got home i realized how dumb that was and sold it for the same price just to get rid of it.

I generally wouldn't spend more than 35$

I don't want a lure that I wouldn't be happy with my 13 or 11 year old tossing in the sea because they didn't flip the bail or casted onto the bridge.  If I drop $20 in lost tackle on a trip that gets all three of us out there, fish or no fish I'm happy. More than that and I am trying to figure out what went wrong (coaching the kids, my own poor technique, wrong tackle, bad spot, etc.).

Confession: I'm as likely to lose it as they are.

Second confession: I nearly cry every time I lose tinman bucktail and a piece of Gulp, so I'm a  cheap fellow.

I’d go $35 for specialized lures like a glider or those giant bowling pin pencils. But generally I’d rather spend around 20 bucks or less.