plugchucker

Salt or fresh? Visiting NH in Oct.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I’m visiting my buddy I served in the Marines with the first week of October. He’s not into fishing all that much. Should I be thinking fresh or saltwater? Both? I’ll be in the lakes region in Sanbornton if that helps.

Neither.  October in New England is for bird hunting and bow hunting for deer.  Fishing can be good for smallmouth and northern pike if you know wher to go.

if you are going to be in NH in October...Save your money, and go on an all day trip on Eastman's.  It's $71 plus tip, and the fishing is usually amazing, although last year it was just great.  2.5 hours out, fish for about 4.5 hours, and 2.5 back.  It's nuts.  

6 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Fall run, all two days of it, should be well under way by then...For stripers...

It expanded by a day?   

October can be very hit or miss. It really depends on the weather and if you are fishing for stripers their migration position. I have caught all the way through November but quite rare these last few years. 

If you are looking to stay local to where you will be staying and have access to a boat, try fishing Squam lake for smallmouth. Other lakes and ponds nearby may be good too. Look up the NH lakes drawdowns to see if you can find a lake that is actively being draw down or was just done. That moving water gets the fish feeding like mad sometimes and worth the trip. Schedule is not out yet but search for it on the des.nh.gov website as your trip nears.

Good luck!

On 8/11/2020 at 7:13 AM, NHAngler said:

October can be very hit or miss. It really depends on the weather and if you are fishing for stripers their migration position. I have caught all the way through November but quite rare these last few years. 

If you are looking to stay local to where you will be staying and have access to a boat, try fishing Squam lake for smallmouth. Other lakes and ponds nearby may be good too. Look up the NH lakes drawdowns to see if you can find a lake that is actively being draw down or was just done. That moving water gets the fish feeding like mad sometimes and worth the trip. Schedule is not out yet but search for it on the des.nh.gov website as your trip nears.

Good luck!

What do you recommend tossing to smallmouth in Squam Lake? It’s only a 20 minute ride from by buddy’s house. Just easier to stay local, and smallmouth are balls out fun to catch.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have done well with an all black spinnerbait with tandem gold willow blades. Find some rock piles and ledges near deeper water. Burn it just under the surface with some stops to let it fall down a few feet then continue. If it gets cold by then a silver buddy blade style bait works well in 20-30 fow but is usually only when the water gets down below 40-45 degrees. Last suggestion is a spidergrub on a jighead. My favorite color for squam when fishing soft plastics was watermelon seed.

Good luck!

Edited by NHAngler

9 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Have done well with an all black spinnerbait with tandem gold willow blades. Find some rock piles and ledges near deeper water. Burn it just under the surface with some stops to let it fall down a few feet then continue. If it gets cold by then a silver buddy blade style bait works well in 20-30 fow but is usually only when the water gets down below 40-45 degrees. Last suggestion is a spidergrub on a jighead. My favorite color for squam when fishing soft plastics was watermelon seed.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. It’s very much appreciated. :th:

Stick with fresh water, I confess I don't know NH LAKES,but I do know the salt water scene and it hasn't been pretty these  past yrs, you may get lucky,but for those of us that have hit the salt water scene on a regular basis it is at best mediocre. If you decide to go salt get a guide.

10 mins ago, John P said:

Stick with fresh water, I confess I don't know NH LAKES,but I do know the salt water scene and it hasn't been pretty these  past yrs, you may get lucky,but for those of us that have hit the salt water scene on a regular basis it is at best mediocre. If you decide to go salt get a guide.

Sounds like NJ. Since Sandy we’ve had round after round of beach replenishment. Basically we now have flat, smooth beaches for miles. No more nights of sand eel bites. Bluefish haven’t really shown up the past 2 years now after some awesome springs.

Freshwater is what we decided. We’re going to fish Squam Lake and then kill some brain cells with Tuckermans.