triumph

Nylon rope lure for gar

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone used one? I don’t doubt that they work. I’m wondering how hard it Is to pick the rope out of their teeth for catch and release.

I haven’t seen this used for alligator gar but supposedly works well on long nose gar. It’s somewhat controversial because Some feel that if you break off the gar will have trouble opening its mouth and eating. 

5 mins ago, youngsalt said:

I haven’t seen this used for alligator gar but supposedly works well on long nose gar. It’s somewhat controversial because Some feel that if you break off the gar will have trouble opening its mouth and eating. 

That is a possibility. But, breaking off should be quite rare.

I was curious about this and googled around and found this photo.  This guy seems to have a good idea to use a tool to hold the mouth open which leaves room to safely pull the rope down with the teeth and then out.

18lbs-1oz 53.5 inches 5-18-10 Nylon Rope Lure.jpg

2 hours ago, youngsalt said:

It’s somewhat controversial because Some feel that if you break off the gar will have trouble opening its mouth and eating. 

I am aware of this. I won't be using light tackle...the gar around here are huge.

2 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

This guy seems to have a good idea to use a tool to hold the mouth open

This is a great idea! I had already planned on the bringing the gloves.

On this stretch of river the gar cruising the shoreline are very common.  I've thrown all kinds of stuff at them..they will follow anything but don't commit.

I think the idea with the rope is to annoy the crap out of them. If they take a nip at it it's a done deal.