shb

Bicycle state of the union

Rate this topic

265 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

so I put too much air in my tire the other day.  Left it parked in the sun when I got home,  and it blew out.

Got on the Google today to order a new one.

Everything out of stock, maybe in stock in a couple weeks, maybe Sept.

Called the bike shop that put them on for me (75 miles away), no dice, don't know when they'll get them in.

This is just ridiculous. 

Found some obscure off brand on Amazon for way too much.

C&R, you'll be happy to know that I'm up to 9.6931 miles this year.

Edited by shb

I had heard about this on another site, couldn’t believe it until I walked through a couple Walmarts and the bike racks are empty. I need to dig my bike out of the garage and sell it.

2 hours ago, CATCHnRELEASE said:

Do not leave your bikes unlocked...

Road bike...i use 95 lbs.

I’m healed up mostly and back to running after a bout of sciatica forced me to put 300+ miles on the bike over the last couple weeks. First couple runs painful and painfully slow compared to my typical ez pace but I’ll take it over the bike any day of the week.:th:

1 hour ago, fishinambition said:

I use 96 lbs.

93 here once they heat up I’m about 95-96

Edited by Sandflee

@shb is this for a road bike or mountain bike, presta or shrader valve and what size tube you looking for?

If you haven't found one yet, let me know and I can point you to a few places.

For what it's worth, bicycles (and a lot of other stuff as well) have been out of stock and very hard to come by for months now. Everyone was locked up at home for a few months, no more gym, etc. etc. Bicycling was one way to get around and take in some fresh air.

More mountain  bike than road bike.

But it was a smooth tread with bumpy shoulders.. a bontrager hybrid  26x2 is what i think it was.

Don't know the difference in valves.

Whatever the old standard valve is.

20200810_100157.jpg

Edited by shb

10 mins ago, shb said:

More mountain  bike than road bike.

But it was a smooth tread with bumpy shoulders.. a bontrager hybrid  26x2 is what i think it was.

Don't know the difference in valves.

Whatever the old standard valve is.

20200810_100157.jpg

Did you find a replacement already?

2 hours ago, Slack Tidings said:

I’m healed up mostly and back to running after a bout of sciatica forced me to put 300+ miles on the bike over the last couple weeks. First couple runs painful and painfully slow compared to my typical ez pace but I’ll take it over the bike any day of the week.:th:

After cancer surgery and 2 heart attacks the doctor said riding a bicycle would be good for me.

My neighbor gave me a very old Peugeot 10 speed, 2 new tires and tubes, lots of oil to free up the chain .

Took it on a test spin down the snowsled trail, then later I did 10 miles on backroads.

I feel fit as a fiddle already.... so many lazy people these days.

5 hours ago, jonesg said:

After cancer surgery and 2 heart attacks the doctor said riding a bicycle would be good for me.

My neighbor gave me a very old Peugeot 10 speed, 2 new tires and tubes, lots of oil to free up the chain .

Took it on a test spin down the snowsled trail, then later I did 10 miles on backroads.

I feel fit as a fiddle already.... so many lazy people these days.

Looks like a great workout. :laugh:

The bike shortage is evidently due to the 'rona. All that crap, except for the high-end bikes, is made in China, and the pandemic has upset the supply chain, and the stores can't keep the stuff in stock. Evidently a lot of people who our home-bound during the pandemic have been takin' it to the streets, on their penny-farthings. 

I've been hearing anecdotal evidence that in the beach towns in Cape May County, bicycle theft is out of control, presumably as a result of the bike shortage. Go figure.